“We where Happy with Happy Hour”
Review of Stella's Fish Cafe

Stella's Fish Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Stella's Fish Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 1,828 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Uptown
Cross street: Girard
Description: Stella's Fish Cafe & Prestige Oyster Bar is a casual seafood restaurant located in the heart of Minneapolis' bus sling Uptown neighborhood. Specializing in accessibly priced super fresh fish & oysters, chef specialties, sushi, pastas and steaks, Stella's serves it all up in a warm & lively setting, devoid of pretension or snootiness. Stella's proudly presents these specials: "Lobster Lover's Sundays" $19.95 gets you a one and a quarter pound whole Maine Lobster! (served a la carte). "Sushi Wednesday": Buy any 2 sushi rolls today and get a FREE Stella roll... "Crab Grab Thursday": One and a quarter pound of Red Alaskan King Crab... Just $19.95 (served a la carte)" Happy Hours with $half price oysters, 2 for 1 taps, rails and house wines.. as well as a great happy hour food selection at amazing prices. Open daily at 11:30am for lunch. Reservations are always accepted for dinner, and don't miss the late night happy hour and bar atmosphere until 2am. Pop up to "On Top Of Stella's" rooftop patio & brand new 360 SkyDeck boasting Minneapolis' Best City Views. Groups Welcome! 3 Banquet Rooms allow for groups of 20-200 guests. Our banquets offer a unique space, menu and professional staff, your event is a guaranteed success!
Reviewed August 14, 2014

My step-son lives in the Twin Cities and he took us to some of his favorite restaurants, one of which is Stella's. He especially likes their happy hour, with the $1 oysters and buy one beer, get a second free. For someone on a budget this is a great deal. We also had the steamed shrimp (large and perfectly cooked), the blackened beef bites (delicious, savory and tender) and the Champagne mussels. For all of this tasty food and beer we only spent around $35 for 3 people.

1  Thank daanddo

Reviewed August 12, 2014

A delightful restaurant with an interesting rooftop dining area. Great views of the neighborhood from there, but it does not take away from the quality of the food. We all really enjoyed our dinner there, sort of a "special place" for celebrations.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

Decided to try Stella's Fish Cafe for lunch one Saturday while in the Uptown area for an art fair. The art fair was so-so, but we were very pleased with Stella's. Being this was our first time here we started out with the peel and eat shrimp and some Blue Point oysters. Both were very, very fresh and tasty. I love lobster so decided to try Stella's Famous Lobster Roll and my husband had the short rib and scallop sandwich...which sounds weird, but he really enjoyed it. He said the scallop was so buttery that it was almost like a condiment on the shredded short ribs. Plus, it was very big...almost too much. Next time he would like to try the fresh fish of the day. Which there was quite an assortment of to choose from. My lobster roll was good too. The brioche bun was almost better than the lobster salad...almost! Can't beat lobster in my book! All in all, it was very good and we will definitely go back for dinner. If you like fresh seafood, Stella's is the place!

Reviewed July 30, 2014

I will preface this review by stating I had an less than ideal experience on my first trip to Stella's - which involved an $85 Groupon for a $180 East Cost Lobster Bake. On that experience, the Lobsters served in the pot were tiny and overcooked. There was no way the food/drink served under the Groupon special was worth anything near $180. I was likely even overvalued at $85, but that is not what this review is about.

I took my girlfriend to Stella's for her birthday on Friday. We started on the rooftoop for a couple of drinks. The Rooftop was packed and standing room only. People watching is a premium on the rooftop. All the young socialites flock here for probably more of a reason to "be seen" than for the non-existent happy hour specials.

We headed downstairs to redeem our opentable.com reservation, and we were immediately seated in the loft. Again, great people watching if you are into that. We decided to split a few different things. First, we went with the calamari, which was fantastic. Lightly breaded and served with triple pepper lemon mayo. Wow. We ate it all. Next out was a heaping bowl of clam chowder. Although mild, the flavor was fantastic. my only complaint is that the clams bits were just that, bits. No really large chunks of clam meat - but it was still delicious. Lastly was a pound and a half of king crab legs to split. There were 4 large legs on the plate, including one with the claw. Two of the legs were easily the size of my girlfriend's wrist. The meat was perfectly cooked to the point of "melt in your mouth." It was a bit odd, but a couple of the legs had a segment that was void of any meat - which seemed a bit odd.

All in all, it was an excellent dining experience. My one tip would be to use Stella's valet parking service ($8). It is cheaper than parking at the nearby ramps ($12+) for 2-3 hours.

2  Thank Jake B
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We had reservations on a Saturday night - it was packed and very busy, but we got in right on time. As an added bonus we got upstairs seating right next to the window so got to people watch. It is a bummer you can't reserve for the rooftop, but understand. We did have a limited mobility person with us and the elevator was broken - so that was a bit of a bummer. Everyone enjoyed their meals. I was the only non-seafood probably. I had the steak and it was delicious. My son loved their homemade lemonade and brownie batter dessert.