“A pleasant surprise”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: West Lake St and Excelsior Blvd
Transit: There is a bus stop directly across the street at the corner of Lake and Market.
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Tryg's exceeded our expectations on every level. We went for a family brunch [6 adults.] We were given a quiet banquette, the menu was varied enough to suit everyone, and the service was wonderful! How nice to be able to talk quietly with one another and not have to compete with deafening music. We will definitely go back.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

If you are on the prowl for a mid-life bar scene Tryg's is a contender. The restaurant is very good, somewhat formal and fairly expensive. the completely separate bar scene is something from a movie. Upper middle age men with flipped up collars and cigars tell boastful golf stories while the ladies slink around in their low cut short dresses. it is quite something to see. Booths big enough for your entourage flank one wall of the bar while a large patio with an open fire pit sends smoke signals to those who haven't joined the throng. If this is your scene, get there.

1  Thank ScottGrahamMpls
Reviewed March 31, 2012

The formal dining room has very good food, competent wait staff, and a romantic vibe but my friends and I prefer to go to Happy Hour in the bar, especially on Sundays when it's Happy Hour all day! The people watching is fun, even more so on nice summer days. Parking is free and not usually an issue, which is nice for Uptown. The drinks are delightful and there are lots of tasty apps from which to choose.

1  Thank MNdawnygirl
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Went in to the bar for Happy Hour on a Saturday afternoon at 5PM. We had to sit at a table that had not yet been cleared from a pervious guest. There is nothing appetizing about looking at someone else's food before you get to order. We sat there for over 10 minutes in a bar that has maybe 10 people in it and never had a server even stop by to clear the table or ask us if we would like drinks. Don't waste your money go next door to Burger Jones instead.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

I have a hard time remembering dinners, unless they really blow my socks off! I went to Tryg's with a couple of friends for dinner on a Wednesday night. It was our usual night out, looking for something better than the normal uptown fare of chino or thai. The thing I really liked about the menu they offered was that it had some variety, steak, a chop, flat bread, ravioli or a nice salad. I myself went for the ravioli topped with salmon. I have to say, the ravioli was so delicious I am going back again this Friday to have it again. If this place delivered I would probably order the ravioli at home three nights a week.

Our experience was really great, service was top notch and the ambiance really sets the tone for great dining. Overall, I would say the only acceptable excuse for not going there tomorrow is if your mother died, even then i might sneak it in after the funeral! Just kidding, but it is good!