WINNER WONDERLAND

112 Eatery
Ranked #2 of 1,806 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Warehouse District
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Deserves attention, awards and recognition it has”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Restaurant is located in Minneapolis Downtown and looks quite ordinary from outside. We had a reservation at 5 P.M., arrived 10 min earlier and had to sit in the rather ugly waiting area. Exactly at 5 P.M. doors were open and very friendly staff took us to our table. Through all dinner the service was impeccable. I ordered the dishes which were highly praised in the reviews I have read in advance: lamb scottadito w/ goats milk yogurt ( $16.5) as an appetizer and tagliatelle w/ foie gras meatballs (half $11) as an entree. As Italian Chef Blog reports, In Italian the word scottadito means burned fingers. This dish is named scottadito because the lamb chops are so delicious that you can't resist eating them sizzling hot, straight from the grill and burning your fingers. Scottadito were floating in some greenish sauce (must be goats milk yogurt). They were indeed delicious, but no awe. Foie gras meatballs were served in tagliatelle (from the Italian tagliare, meaning "to cut"), which is a traditional type of pasta from northeastern regions of Italy. I must confess, I did not think much about foie gras meatballs, couldn’t get excited about them. Pasta was excellent of course, but in general entree was not higher than 7 out of 10. Thus, it appears that following other people’s recommendations was not a winning strategy. Instead I should have followed my wit, as my wife did, who was very lucky with her selection. Sea scallops w/ oyster mushrooms ($15) as an appetizer was terrific. Perhaps the best scallops we ever ate and the best dish of the evening. Perfect dish 10/10. Swordfish w/ mint chimichurri ($24) was another winner. Chimichurri is a souce from Argentine for grilled meat. Here it was used for fish. Fish was floating on some kind of material which tasted as cooked semolina. Particularly neat were small fragments of pepper on the top of fish file. For desert we ordered tres leches cake (three milk cake). It is called three milk cake because it is soaked in three kinds of milk: evaporated milk, condensed milk and heavy cream. It looked great; the taste was worse than the look (too sweet), but still deserved high marks. Another desert choice was milk chocolate hazelnut mousse torte. I like this kind of mousse tortes and enjoyed this one as well. It was rich, it was gentle and display was brilliant. Caramel string gave the torte the necessary artistic accent. In summary, 112 Eatery deserves attention, awards and recognition it has.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank LabRat_2255

New York City, New York
“Worth going to.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

The first time I tried to go, this place was packed. I ended up going someplace else because I wasn't willing to wait too long. Went back on a Monday when it wasn't nearly as crowded and quickly found a spot at the bar for dinner. I had the tilefish. It was cooked very well and it was really good. I also ordered the side roasted carrots which were good, but nothing special. I wasn't planning on dessert, but the cherry chocolate cake with ginger ice cream sounded good. It was disappointing. I couldn't taste the cherry at all, didn't care for the cocao nibs and the cake was alright. I should have asked for a recommendation from the waiter.

If you're in Minneapolis, I would suggest going, especially if you're into something other than steakhouses (which seemed to occupy most of the Minneapolis top 10 lists). It's good, but was not as good as other TripAdvisor or Z recommendations were suggesting.

• Visited November 2012
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“the best in Minneapolis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

Had a recommendation from a waitress and she was so right. The atmosphere was really nice and more importantly the food was excellent.

Visited November 2012
Orlando, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best place in Minneapolis .... If not in the US”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

One word: superb!!! 112 is probably one of the best foodie-style restaurants in the country. I travel a lot for business, around the world, and this place is in the top 10. Thanks!!!

1 Thank Bisserg
Bloomington, Minnesota, Usa
“A must eat! Superb.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

We celebrated my wife's birthday and we had a fantastic meal and experience. The Strangozzi was fantastic. The ricotta with honey app was perfect. The gnocchi is one of the dishes you can't pass up!

Service was perfect and ambience was inviting. We will forever consider this spot a must when we look for a perfect meal. Kudos to the chefs and staff!