“Excellent Culinary Fare”

Ranked #419 of 1,828 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We really enjoyed our evening out with another couple at this restaurant. It definitely seems to match the overall progressive vibe of Minneapolis/St. Paul, and the food is comfort food at its best.

The drinks that we had were delicious. Additionally, the entrees were beautifully-prepared and served, and had lots of delicious choices for sides and main course fare.

I have to recommend this restaurant for those who want excellent bar and grill fare. No, this place is not a 5-star restaurant, so please keep that in mind. However, for a bar and grill, this restaurant has excellent and tasty comfort food, including some southern-style foods that aren't common in Minnesota.

Reviewed March 24, 2012

Don't understand why Eli's is not a more trendy place for local foodies because the food is surprisingly good. Decor is the usual dark hole-in-the wall bar, but with some cool enlargements of black and white photos showing Hennepin Street from long ago. The waitress was friendly and attentive; iced tea refills and drink orders kept coming. There is decent selection of beers including local ones such as Grain Belt Premium, as well as wine and mixed drinks.

I passed the kitchen on the way to the bathroom... it is amazing that such a tiny place produces all those dishes. My sister and I shared the Pork Tenderloin Medallions Appetizers and Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes entree. Four perfectly cooked medallions of pork tenderloin were wrapped in bacon with a touch of jalapeno on a bed of caramelized onions and unusually topped with guacamole. They were attractively plated with cider reduction and pea shoots --- very, very tasty. The crab cakes were not really lump crab cakes (more shredded) but still had a lot of crab and were nicely seasoned. They were paired with spinach and grilled asparagus that my sister especially loved.

Dessert was a very good molten lava cake on raspberry sause with a weak Bailey's ice cream -- tasted good but not particularly inspired.

Definitely recommend this place for very reasonably priced, inventive food ... but desserts need more oomph.

1  Thank p_tong0
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We first went to Eli's when we moved in across the street several years ago. We don't live there anymore, but have gone back to Eli's nonetheless - it is that good.
Eli's has several tables in the front of the place, as well as tables that run along the right side of the room. A bar is situated along the left side of the room and it is equally enjoyable eating your dinner right there!
The patrons - everyone is nice, it seems to me. And the staff is absolutely top notch. The bar tenders are awesome, the waiters are great. Very helpful, very friendly - exactly how a restaurant should be run.
As for the food. It is truly amazing. There is a large "specials" board to the right of the bar featuring special dishes that are always made with unique, delicious ingredients. I am a "vegetarian" (I don't eat "meat" like beef, pork, chicken, etc.), but am always impressed with the selection I still find on the menu. My favorite thing about their restaurant: they serve, the hands down BEST greek salad I have ever had in the U.S. A big salad, lots of toppings (tomatoes, cucumber, feta, onion, capers, pepperoncini, etc.) and delicious warm pita on the side. It truly is wonderful food.
It is also an awesome place if you simply want a drink. Specialty drinks are also listed to the right of the bar and I've often noticed that they coincide with the season/holiday. My sister and I once ordered a "hot toddy" type drink around Thanksgiving that was absolutely delicious, warm and STRONG :)
I would recommend this place for anyone looking for some good food, nice atmosphere, a tasty drink. You will not be disappointed. Best of luck to Eli's - I hope the business only grows with the new grocery store coming in this summer!

Reviewed January 25, 2012

They had the most fantastic lamb chops special one night... sooo good! I love that it still serves a full menu late into the night.

Reviewed September 7, 2011

It was the last place open on a sunday night downtown. Lucky for us, everything was delicious and service was spot on. I definitely recommend.

1  Thank tryanything0nce