“Beautiful, pricy.”

Nicollet Island Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Nicollet Island Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #131 of 1,793 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Bus Stop
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Beautiful, pricy.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is a unique restaurant, immediately across a small street from a portion of the Mississippi River. There are wonderful views of trees and the river in all seasons.

The food is good to very good, and pricy (french toast was $10.00, corn beef hash $12.00. This is a place for a leisurely breakfast (or lunch or dinner).

Nice bar, again looking out toward trees and the river.

It's sort of a "power place."

The service is pretty good, not great.

• Visited November 2013

Brainerd, Minnesota
“Great food but not very welcoming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

We came early for Sunday brunch. They woman at the front desk told us she thought they were booked, but didn't know for sure. We were in no hurry so decided to take our chances and wait. While waiting, we sat by the fireplace and helped ourselves to a cup of coffee, which we figured was there for the hotel guests, but we hoped to soon be restaurant guests and thought it wasn't too much of an imposition. There were pastries by the coffee and the front desk woman whisked them away as though to say "these are NOT for you". We were told by another staff person (gentleman) that they were booked for brunch, but would see if they could get us in. When 9:30 rolled around, no one came to tell us if we were able to get in or not. We were told by a very nice hostess that, yes indeed - come this way! We ate and left and never saw more than two other tables!

• Visited October 2013
Woodbury, Minnesota
“Customer Appreciation Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I went to the Nicollet Island Inn Restaurant on Friday. This is not the first time we have gone there. We had a 3-course meal called the "Customer Appreciation Meal." The meal included the Chicken and wild rice soup, Lamb Cassoulet, and Dutch Apple pie with vanilla cream. The soup was quite good, but not as thick as expected (as many wild rice soups in our area). The Lamb Cassoulet was a little disappointing. I think the Cassoulet was reheated several times. It didn't have much liquid. Most was absorbed by the beans, making the dish somewhat dry. Also, the lamb taste (which I like) was not what I expected. It tasted more like beef. The desert was very good. They used a tart apple, which was complemented by the sweet vanilla cream. Even thought we were a little disappointed, we do plan to go back again.

• Visited October 2013
“Horrible Managment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

We went for brunch which was not worth the money. We paid 80 dollars and I got sick from the soup. We complained to the manager and never got a call back. I called and complained a month later and the owner called me. He was polite at first and then rude. I told him I understood and didn't want to bash his restaurant I was just complaining about the after service. And I am planning on opening a restaurant. I was shocked by his next few words. He said Why don't you tell me the name so I can come there and tell you everything I don't like about your restaurant. WE have been going there for six years now. And we have all our business meetings there. He asked me what I wanted I said a refund so I can have another experience. I said I would like a full refund but he can give me what he thinks was fair. A customer service oriented manager would of sent me my full value. He sent me 25 dollars. Are you kidding me. That was a slap to the face literally. I will not be returning. In the end it saves us thousands a year with the business meetings. I don't support BAD management. Because i do whatever is necessary to make sure my customers are happy. Its sad because they were our go to restaurant and our favorite. They are high end and when you pay high end prices you expect high end service.

• Visited September 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
“Elegant and romantic, nice view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

We came here for my girlfriend's birthday, and it was a lovely experience. The long-haired gentleman at the front (didn't think to ask his name!) was very polite, welcoming, and helpful to get us to our seats. Our reservations I had made weeks in advance were no problem, and the service was great through the night.

The venue itself is easy enough to get to and has ample parking. The building is quite attractive and has an elegant quality to it. Inside is even warmer and inviting, with a really nice ambience for a romantic evening. Lights are dim enough to see out across the river, and the location feels like a nice in-between from the chaos of the city and the peace of a park.

Our food was very good; we both ordered a gnocchi dish. Although a little pricey, the taste and texture were good. No specialty drink menu, but their bartender was competent in making our drinks. For those who partake in wine though, the wine selection is plentiful.

On the way out of the venue, both our waitress and the host were gracious in taking our picture for us. The host was also very helpful with getting to the Hitching Company pickup area for a carriage ride appointment. Absolutely recommended, if not necessarily for a value meal, but for the ambience, experience, and service.

• Visited September 2013