“Absolutely delicious!”

Nico's Taco and Tequila Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Nico's Taco and Tequila Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #363 of 1,808 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Mexican
Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely delicious!”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Having grown up in a state next to the border, I was raised on proper, authentic Mexican food. This is it! There's no Tex-Mex, 'cheesy gordita crunchwrap supreme' junk here, just amazing, totally affordable homestyle Mexican. Tacos run 3 dollars - definitely try the pastor. The pollo (chicken) enchiladas are excellent, as well.

Their tequila list is massive, and no Jose Cuervo mixto's to be found. Everything is 100 percent agave, and outside of Don Julio and Patron, I didn't recognize a single thing, so I decided to order myself a house margarita, which was delicious and packed a punch.

Very cozy, as well. Give it a go!

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lived up to the hype!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I read about Nico's coming to uptown and was so excited we would be getting an authentic taco joint right here in my own hood. My family is from Mexico and believe me, uptown has offered nothing in recent years in the way of real Mexican fare. However, I have to admit, I thought "Could this be true? If I go there I will probably be disappointed". Well was I impressed...the tacos are so amazing and delicious and all the flavors remind me of my mother's cooking. In fact it SMELLED like her house when I walked in the door. My favorite was the Salsa Verde and the Carnitas taco..yum yum yum. My only complaint is they don't have a happy hour yet, but apparently that is just days away! But hey, the tacos are $3 anyways so that's a slammin' deal. Also, the place is super cute and contemporary Mexican, unlike the dives on East Lake (which have great food but you'd rather take it to go!). I'll be back when the late night happy hour starts and head upstairs to the tequila bar!

1 Thank Lana M
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Taco Tequila Thrill!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

So Nico's just opened about a week or so ago, and a group of six of us decided to head there last night. I have never been to the previous restaurants that occupied this "house" before, but i found it very charming and colorful inside, and much BIGGER than I thought it would be. There was a counter you could sit at on the first floor, but the real "bar" is upstairs. We chose upstairs and glad we did as it is much louder up there and our group can make a lot of noise...especially after a couple margaritas ;). We all split the taco flight and chips with several different (very spicy) salsas. These were all delicious and most of us could handle the spice. We also ordered both the guacs (there are two), and while we loved the classis version, the Tocino was a bit odd with bacon in it, but others enjoyed it more than I. Most of us orders tacos and one the flautas. The tacos were incredible! Especially the pollo de tinga and the barbacoa, both served very warm and marinated. Also extra yummy was the pastor (pork in red sauce). I love that they give you two corn tortillas like the real taco joints. They only come with cilantro and onions so you have to request the cheeses, avocado, or house pickled jalapeños which I definitely recommend as the difference between the tacos that had them and the tacos that didn't was significant. Although if you are looking for a simpler taco then order as is. Expect the real deal here, no fuss, fusion or Americanization of the taco. The patio and porches look beautiful for outdoor dining, so hopefully we make it back soon on a warm fall day!