“Try the sauerkraut balls!”
Review of Black Forest Inn

Black Forest Inn
Ranked #225 of 1,901 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Austrian, German, Swiss
Good for: Large groups
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Nicollet
Transit: The 18 bus stops right in front of our parking lot. The 17 stops two blocks away at 24th street.
Reviewed June 30, 2015

Good food, good beer. Lots of dishes to choose from. I loved the ham and sauerkraut balls with their wonderful mustard.

Reviewed June 20, 2015

Went with a friend for lunch since it's her favorite patio restaurant in Mpls. and we'd been to the MIA which was close by. She's a spaetzle with mustard fan, and I have to find something lower in fat (ie., not brats, cheese, etc.) due to diet needs. Usually have the bread (always good) with vegetables. They cook broccoli right, not mushy. She had a specialty beer from a wide range of options. In the winter, I love the coziness and paintings on the wall and ceilings. Others called it dated, but I love the nostalgia and memories of meeting friends and family for dinner during the cold months and enjoying the hot, tasty lentil soup. It was the place of our second date many years ago and my husband still loves the apple strusel dessert with whipped cream.

Reviewed June 13, 2015

I reviewed this place two years ago and not much changed.
Again, they were able to accommodate our group of ~25 people in their outdoor garden. This area, along with reasonable beer, is the best thing they've got going for them.
Not a big fan of German food, I keep ordering "fringe" German food and keep being disappointed. This time I tried the fish fry, proving to myself that Mrs. Paul used a German recipe. Very disappointing, and the fries that came with it were droopy and bad.
Service initially was pretty poor. Early arrivers sat for a long time until a couple more came and just started ordering things so he had to take out pad to write it down. That time he somehow took off with only 3 drink orders, still leaving the early arrivers without drinks. We were sitting at the same table. Oddly, it got better later when more people arrived.
If it wasn't for these group meetings, I wouldn't bother coming.

Reviewed June 6, 2015

We enjoy the Black Forest Inn during the warmer months, when their inviting patio is open. Lodged between two buildings, with partial overhead canvass adjusted as needed for hot sun or rain and adorned by large trees and a fountain, it attracts many. On a weekend, it would be wise to arrive early (by 6:00 for dinner) for a patio table.No reservations. The interior of Black Forest also oozes ambiance, with German authenticity and beautiful adornments in the decor. The restaurant as a whole has a slight bohemian air. Black Forest has a few minor flaws. For example the menu contained a an entire page on "Spargel Specialties", causing the diner to study and consider these items to be told "that speciality is over. Sorry, we haven't removed from menu yet". Also there may be some deficiency in wait staff training. The food is hearty, and I think reasonably authentic. The overall experience of the Black Forest easily exceeds a few faults..

Reviewed May 13, 2015 via mobile

This restaurant has been there for 50 years. It is an attractive place although it doesn't have a great reputation for serving the best or most authentic German food. My recent visit was surprisingly good. The bread was delicious although a little too salty. The sauerbraten my companion has did not looked to be great but ok. The sauce looked too light in color to me. The spätzle looked ok though. My veal wienerschnitzel was good. It was a little darker than I would have preferred but it had a nice flavor of butter. The oil used to fry it was most likely the classic mix of cooking oil and clarified butter. The red cabbage was good although a tad bit too sweet. The Black Forest cake failed me. The cake was a little too salty probably from using regular butter rather than unsalted butter, a terrible pastry making error. The cream in between the layers of cake was too dense. The cherries should have been the dark cherry and should have been more. Overall it was at best a C cake. The German Pinot Noir by Allendorf was quite good and dry. It had nice fruit. The service was good and the patio was enjoyable. I am knowledgeable about German food. There are good and low points. Another thing. They shouldn't list rabbit on the menu when they don't have it. Too bad about that. That was my first choice.