“Beer garden was good, food not so much”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Black Forest Inn

Black Forest Inn
Ranked #269 of 1,794 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: German, Bar, European, Central European, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Nicollet
Transit: The 18 bus stops right in front of our parking lot. The 17 stops two blocks away at 24th street.
Chanhassen, Minnesota
“Beer garden was good, food not so much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I went to a mixer of probably 26 birders and sat in the beer garden.
Had an excellent time in the beer garden, and overall thought the waitress did a good job handling the large group.
They have sampler German beer flights and sampler German food plates that were pretty good looking. I stuck with a local oatmeal stout which was good, and may have been about 3.50 a pint - this was at 6pm, so probably not happy hour.
They were very accomodating for us, and I'd recommend it for get togethers like this one when the beer garden is open.
I ordered the reuben sandwich and can't recommend it - very dry. But there were other items to choose from for next time.

• Visited July 2013

Naples, Florida
“I should have paid attention to bad reviews”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I went to this restaurant a few hours ago with three of my friends even though there were mixed reviews recently. Unfortunately I ran into the same problem. My server was the tall college age kid with the full sleeve tattoos that another reviewer mentioned. He was pleasant enough initially and I was happy to have him as a server. When the food came, I only had one piece of wiener schnitzel instead of the two that I ordered. I mentioned it to him and he went to the kitchen to get the second piece. While he was gone, we noticed that there was blue-green mold on the toast that he brought a girl in our party with her Duck Confit. When he returned with my 2nd piece of meat we brought the moldy toast to his attention. He went to the kitchen and got her new toast. The remainder of the food was average at best. The duck was dry, the devil's food cake tasted like it came from a box, the apples in my apple strudel were also very dry and the ham and sour kraut ball appetizer had no taste.
When the server brought the checks I asked him what the restaurant was going to do about all the problems. He said that he gets to punch the cook at the end of the night and that they will probably fire the cook. I mentioned to him that in situations like this a restaurant would usually comp the 2 desserts we ordered at the very least and I pointed out that the restaurant has mixed reviews on trip advisor. He said that those people who left the negative reviews were just jerks. We debated back and forth for a few seconds and I asked him to go see what he could do. He returned a short time later and without a word placed down a new check for the girl in our party that got the moldy toast and picked up her old check. We had to look at the check to learn that her meal had been reduced by the price of her dessert.
No Oh My God we are so sorry, this should never have happened. No manager coming out to talk to us and make thongs right. In any restaurant worth its salt a manager would have come out apologizing profusely and probably comped the entire meal of the girl with the moldy toast.
You have been warned!

Visited July 2013
minneapolis
“Black Forest Inn - not what it once was”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Visited this restaurant several times in the past - last time was about 3 years ago. Visited with family on a Friday about 1 PM. Was surprised to see the lack of patrons. In the past this place was packed. Ordered the bratwurst lunch, potato pancake, and spaetzel. The only good taste was the bratwurst. The German potato salad was warm. The potato pancake and spaetzel were barely warm and quite bland. We were seated in the open air patio which was pleasant. The service was fair. Based on past experience, I was disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Gut Gut Gut”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Very nice dinner here. The biergarten is very nice. Food very authentic and wonderful.

We had the herring salad for a shared starter for 3, which was about right. Entrees included rouladen (Saturday nights special dish) which was stellar, house made bratwurst with some fantastically sour sauerkraut and great potatoes and a Wienerschnitzel, which of the 3 was the weakest of the dishes but still good.

Staff is friendly but a bit overworked which led them to forget to things. Had to wait for a table in the biergarten, so sat at the bar for a few minutes. Bar staff were great and there is a really good selection of German beers on tap.

For dessert one of our party ordered apple strudel, but they were down to one small piece left and then they were out. So they gave us the small piece free of charge.

Many of the locals have said that Black Forest is their favorite and most authentic of 4-5 major German restaurants in the Twin Cities.

Visited July 2013
Minneapolis
“A little German in south Minneapolis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Had a great sauerbraten, spatzel, roll and butter for lunch on a sunny day on their patio. Two nice pergolas out there with a fountain to cut down on some of the noise from Nicollet Ave. The interior has a lot of decorative German Motif painting on the ceiling beams and the booth are old school benches. The bar is a low “compression and release” area that is cozy and inviting with many German beers on tap. Yes the wood floors have seen better days as a lot of beer has been spilled on them and the place has seen good wear. But then so many beer halls in Germany would be similar. Enjoy the food and if you aren’t a big fan of German cooking, they have many other choices from hamburgers to vegetarian items to give the Uptown liberals a food option as well.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Veni-vidi-vicidotcom

Been to Black Forest Inn? Share your experiences!