“Food and Atmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles

Black Forest Inn
Ranked #285 of 1,790 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: German, Bar, European, Central European, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Nicollet
Transit: The 18 bus stops right in front of our parking lot. The 17 stops two blocks away at 24th street.
Maple Grove, Minnesota
“Food and Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Excellent authentic German food, prodigious portions. Atmosphere is like Octoberfest all year long. Also superb desserts, all at very reasonable prices. Call ahead to reserve.

Colorado
“Saurbraten & Red Cabbage YUMMMM”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

A friendly waitperson and excellent service make any dinner our a joy. Add a bit of atmosphere, GREAT food, reasonable prices, free parking, and a glass of German beer and dinner becomes an occasion. Thanks, Black Forest, for a meal that was as special as the people I shared it with.

Visited January 2013
“Not as good as I hoped”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Went on a Saturday night with my family. I'd heard a lot about this place, and wanted to try it out. I agree with the previous review that the place was a bit tired and could use some sprucing up. The food was good, but not great. The Snitzel was the best of the lot, but the goulash was pretty bad. I'm betting we will go back, and hoping they will get the place cleaned up.

Ames, IA
“Landmark restaurant that needs some TLC...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Visited the Black Forest on a date, way back in the 80's and remembered it as quaint and charming with great food. Returned right before Christmas this year with my spouse. Looking around the restaurant, I noticed walls with paint that needed to be touched up, scratched and banged up tables and benches that needed some sanding and refinishing, etc. A dropped ceiling was added between the painted beams at some point and were painted to try to fit them into the decor theme. My spouse used the men's room and came out saying it was dirty, the urinal was backed up and not draining, etc. The ladies room was a bit better - needed a good cleaning and some updating, however.

Our drinks were fine, priced similar to other restaurants. The stuffed mushroom appetizer was amazing - served very hot and about the best we've ever had. The saurbraten and rouladan that we ordered was good, but not great. The spaetzel had little taste and was dry - it needed melted butter on it, as I've experienced at other German restaurants.

All in all, it didn't live up to the memory of my first experience.

When we arrived (which was a bit early, due to other plans we had that night) there was a nice group of folks at the bar. The dining room we were seated in had two other folks dining and the adjacent room had a large party. Before the end of our meal, a family of about 12 came in to eat, along with another group of four. My impression was that the Black Forest still pulls folks in. I just wish the owners/management would give the place some tender loving care in the dining areas and in the kitchen, so it stays open a few more decades.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nette Deutsche heimelige Gefühl”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Authentic German dishes and a decent beer selection. This is a very nice German home-like feeling. Parking can be tricky on some nights.