“Take out fav”

Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: W 28th Avenue
Transit: 18 and 10 buses stop at 28th and Nicollet Ave, under 1 block away.
Minneapolis Mn
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Take out fav”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Get their takeout all the time. very good but getting pricey. We think they are very clean and trustworthy and so altho talk about trying others, always end up with take out from here. dining room looks nice. Been around for almost forever.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“fun for a group”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

very nice atmosphere, great food. Koi tanks are fun to watch. Yum yum yum yum. If you want to make a hit at a pot luck, bring a big pan of Rainbow's green beans and a big pan of dumplings. Your friends will love you.

1 Thank Betty T
Minneapolis
“Whaaaaa? We LOVE this place!”
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I sometimes wonder about reviews so very harsh like the one just posted by someone below. Rainbow is and has always been one of our favorite Chinese restaurants. The owner herself is there almost every single visit, and the food is consistently good. Yes, a bit American-ized....this is the Midwest after all, not Chinatown with a huge native population looking for dark gray preserved eggs and slimy Bird's Nest soup made from a swiftlet's saliva.
Rainbow, you're perfect...don't change.

• Visited October 2011
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Worst Chinese Food I have Ever Eaten”
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I very much enjoy authentic Chinese food, having lived and traveled in China for a few years. Luckily, there are a number of good choices in the Twin Cities. But, wow, Rainbow is NOT one of them. Perhaps they used to be good, but in my only trip there, the food was utterly horrible.

My wife and I received incredibly bland dumplings as an appetizer to three main dishes that were atrociously bad. I'd swear that the person cooking the food must have had no experience cooking Chinese food. (a) It had absolutely no flavor. (b) The meat and vegetable pieces were so coarsely chopped that they failed to resemble any wok-cooked dish you'd actually receive from a genuine Chinese restaurant.

I'll admit that my taste for Chinese food is rather sophisticated, and that I don't like Americanized Chinese food, but I just cannot fathom that even those people who do like Americanized Chinese food could think that the food we received at Rainbow was at all good.

This place is certainly not worth going to.

• Visited June 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Everything you want in a restaurant: food, service, decor, drinks.”
Reviewed February 5, 2011

At the end of dinner tonight my husband and I asked each other why we don't eat here at least once a month. In fact, we were ready to come back the next day to eat the special garlic sole dish again. Just go, even once to savor the food prepared by Tammy Wong. She is one of those rare cooks who is very particular about sourcing her ingredients, venturing into foods that are largely unfamiliar to Minnesotans and then giving them the perfect preparation...adding flavor, texture and lovely presentation without obscuring the natural beauty of the food. Her sauces are small miracles. Classics like Szechuan wontons and fried green beans are better here than anywhere else in the City. With the onset of the Chinese New Year and knowing that Tammy always prepares special dishes...we finally made it back there tonight. Her New Year specials include a garlic sole dish that is unequivocally the best meal I have had in the last year...anywhere....including a recent restaurant filled 10 days in New York City.
Go soon...the New Year menu ends on 2/14/11. Maybe if we beg Tammy she'll add garlic sole to the regular menu.
And even if you don't make it for the Year of the Rabbit menu, the Rainbow's cocktails are fantastic as is the environment...enormous and dazzling fresh bouquets, wall murals that evoke China, an aquarium of gigantic Koi, wood carvings..., trust me, just go, now, if possible.

• Visited February 2011