“Love the BBQ here”

Cap's Grille
Ranked #352 of 1,800 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Minneapolis, MN
“Love the BBQ here”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Being a "local" I've been here quite a few times. The actual restaurant isn't that much to look at but the food really makes up for it. if you eat in the food is served on big trays and take out is packaged up tight. The ribs and pulled pork are wonderful! A couple of "unique" items for here are the BBQ Salmon and Pork Chop. The salmon has a tasty maple glaze on it while the pork chop is thick, meaty, tender and juicy. It's sooo good! Lately I"ve been ordering the Chop/Rib combo when I go there. The sides are good too, yummy beans and steak fries. They have tater salad during the summer months too. While I haven' tried them the burgers look really good. Prices are reasonable too.

• Visited December 2011

Plover, Wisconsin
“Very good weekend breakfast”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stopped here for breakfast while visiting family in the twin cities. Our orders included pancakes, omelettes, and hash browns which are apparently a house specialty. The browns were great, with the necessary crispy on the outside. The pancakes were large and tender. The food was served hot and the omelettes came in skillets. The service was appropriately attentive, the decor was nostalgic and clean. I believe that breakfast is served only on weekends. We'll definitely be back for dinner to try the BBQ which has a good reputation.

1 Thank onemanwolfpack61
State College, Pennsylvania
“Huge sandwich, local clientele, great experience...”
Reviewed December 13, 2009

I love barbecue and try to find a dinky little BBQ shack when I visit a new city. On my way to the Minneapolis airport, I stopped by Cap's Grille, per some online recommendations that I read. It met and exceeded my expectations.

I was seated immediately and ordered the Stacker (pulled pork) sandwich and steak fries, which seemed to be Cap's standards. I was blown away by how quickly the food was delivered to the table, literally within three or four minutes. The Stacker sandwich was probably the largest "sandwich" I have ever eaten. The amount of sauce and pork on the bun made the notion of eating it with my hands rather laughable, so I ate my sandwich with knife and fork. And it was absolutely delicious. I could barely finish it. And the steak fries, while nothing especially notable, were good.

One other interesting note was the fabulous local color seated at the tables around me. They were most definitely Minnesota natives, not out-of-towners like me, as evidenced by their rich Minnesota accents. Honestly, their conversations could have come out of a movie. It was a hoot and indicative that this place isn't just a place for uninformed tourists.

I wanted some good barbecue, and I almost got more than I could handle at Cap's. The next time I'm in the Twin Cities, I won't hesitate to make sure my path brings me back to Hiawatha Avenue...

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Simple, unpretentious, good BBQ and great sweet potato pie. Kid friendly service.”
Reviewed November 25, 2008

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good place for takeout-- bbq and sides are great.”
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Good place for takeout-- bbq and sides are great.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook