“Where is the tortilla?”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 9th Street
Transit: On Bus Route.
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We spent a semester in Spain, so I am a bit of a tapas aficionado. The place is tasty, though overpriced. The wine list is long and the pours on our night there were generous. I loved the house sangria, reminded me of Madrid. It is overpriced and the menu lacked tortilla, a staple of tapas for us. The patatas bravas are not to be missed but spicier than anything we had in Spain. The staff was attentive but pushy. We were looking to bar hop, typical of a Spanish night out, and he was abrupt with us when we decided to make our way to the next locale. I still think the restaurant was very good and would recommend it when out with friends.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Solera provided a great opportunity to eat and socialize. Because it is a tapas place, we ordered and ate as a group with the items coming out as they were ready. We also ordered a few plates to start and then added on as our time and appetite allowed. The food was good but not great. Our server was not overly helpful with the process of ordering--not providing ideas or feedback when we asked. She tended to reply robotically, "We recommend 3-4 plates per person. Order a variety of things to try." It was a little loud, especially with the pre-theater crowd, but settled down once the shows started. The confit pork belly, goat cheese stuffed piquillos, and glazed carrots were our favorites. We would go again but probably research on our own a bit more ahead of time.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I like this restaurant and having been to Spain before it was like I was back on vacation. The waiter was great, the food was good, and I love that you get the food as it's ready. The only thing is the prices as prices as if each thing is a whole meal and all you get is a couple of bites of everything so be ready to spend big here. I think it's definitely overpriced and maybe it's because they are right next to a theater that they think they can get the money out of people or they will get people desperate for food so they trap you once your in the door but the price was not worth the food.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

The food and service here as always been consistant. It is one of our favorite restaurants in the downtown Minneaplois area. I generally order seafood, and it always is fresh and prepared correctly. Many restaurants tend to over cook seafood. This is not the case a Solera.

1  Thank DickBobG
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Our visit tonight was not the "first time."

My husband and I used to live in Minneapolis (now, of Springfield, IL), and we return to the city frequently because family lives here. So this is not our first visit to Solera.

Past visits to Solera came before my husband and I visited Spain, where we really learned about the tapas tradition(s), worked to replicate these in our own kitchen, with some success.

NOT at Solera.

With the exception of a couple of menu items, these are not Spanish tapas.

They are tapas changed to an American/Minnesotan taste.

The lamb meatballs....a STAPLE at most tapas bars in Spain...were cooked in a beautiful and savory sauce, BUT. It was so over-salted I could not eat them. When I bit into them, they were...."al dente," instead of tender and yielding. (At first bite, I thought I was eating a mushroom. NOT.)

The piquillo peppers, stuffed with a titch of goat cheese, were fabulous.....they didn't need the swimming bath of butter they were in. The patatas bravas (which are NOT a spicy dish in Spain....indeed, Spain does not do spicy), were very bright and hot. Hot is Mexican. Spain is not about hot.

And where were the gambas al ajillo?! The garlic shrimp that are a STAPLE of Spanish tapas bars throughout the country?! Not available on the menu at Solera, despite the fact that it is a CLASSIC tapa. Where is it, guys?!

We called it quits when we had just 3 things. I communicated with the waiter that the food was not to our expectation...and he removed $20 from the total of the bill... a wonderful step toward service recovery. (I gifted it back to him in total as a tip. He was awesome!)

So, here's the deal. Good service, mediocre food. I am sad to say this! In the past, Solera has been stellar. But it has succumbed to Midwestern expectations in serving sizes and tastes.
We won't be back.