“It's trying...........”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 9th Street
Transit: On Bus Route.
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Our visit tonight was not the "first time."

My husband and I used to live in Minneapolis (now, of Springfield, IL), and we return to the city frequently because family lives here. So this is not our first visit to Solera.

Past visits to Solera came before my husband and I visited Spain, where we really learned about the tapas tradition(s), worked to replicate these in our own kitchen, with some success.

NOT at Solera.

With the exception of a couple of menu items, these are not Spanish tapas.

They are tapas changed to an American/Minnesotan taste.

The lamb meatballs....a STAPLE at most tapas bars in Spain...were cooked in a beautiful and savory sauce, BUT. It was so over-salted I could not eat them. When I bit into them, they were...."al dente," instead of tender and yielding. (At first bite, I thought I was eating a mushroom. NOT.)

The piquillo peppers, stuffed with a titch of goat cheese, were fabulous.....they didn't need the swimming bath of butter they were in. The patatas bravas (which are NOT a spicy dish in Spain....indeed, Spain does not do spicy), were very bright and hot. Hot is Mexican. Spain is not about hot.

And where were the gambas al ajillo?! The garlic shrimp that are a STAPLE of Spanish tapas bars throughout the country?! Not available on the menu at Solera, despite the fact that it is a CLASSIC tapa. Where is it, guys?!

We called it quits when we had just 3 things. I communicated with the waiter that the food was not to our expectation...and he removed $20 from the total of the bill... a wonderful step toward service recovery. (I gifted it back to him in total as a tip. He was awesome!)

So, here's the deal. Good service, mediocre food. I am sad to say this! In the past, Solera has been stellar. But it has succumbed to Midwestern expectations in serving sizes and tastes.
We won't be back.

Sorry, Solera!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Solera is a great location right in Hennepin avenue near the theaters, the Twins ballpark, NBA location; in other words right there in the center of downtown activity
The service was good; as per the menu; considering this is the Spanish concept of tapas (small plates with samples) I think it is average (the list options is limited for a tapas place)
The best we tried was the Boquerones

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I went here with 5 of my co-workers. The server recommended that we order about 3 items per person. This worked well as we all got to sample a good number of dishes. The bacon-wrapped dates were incredible. We also enjoyed the octopus w/ potatoes.

We ordered 4 of the deserts. The churros and chocolate caramel cake were both delicious.

The server did a great job on recommendations. Don't know what happened between dinner and dessert, but the delay had to be a good 30 minutes.

Overall, food was very good. Unfortunately, service was average.

Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Solera offers many options offering a wide and diverse selection of tapas. Dare to explore new flavors. Chances are you will discover something that will surprise and delight you. Our favorite: pulpo (octopus). The service was also very helpful with suggestions and attentive.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Best Spanish Restaurant in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Try Paella, ham and cheese tapas
Great Spanish Wines and bread