“Poor Experience on Roof Solera”
Review of Solera - CLOSED

Cross street: 9th Street
Transit: On Bus Route.
Duluth, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor Experience on Roof Solera”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I went with my sister and brother-in-law who are foodies. After a show at the Orpheum, we saw Solera had Happy Hour from 10-midnight and we were all hungry from skipping dinner for the show. The hostess asked us if we wanted to eat indoors or on the roof. She didn't tell us that Happy Hour didn't apply on the roof. As you can guess, we went to the roof. The appetizers the served up there was subpar at best. Of the three we ordered, 1 was good, 1 was ok, and 1 was awful. The appetizers were completely overpriced.

We all ordered wine/sangria. My sister remarked the Sangria was too sweet and tasted like a "high school drink". It was also frozen, which she didn't know and it wasn't listed on the menu as frozen. (I ordered a frozen one that was listed as frozen.) I think our frozen sangria high school drinks were also over priced. They were also brought to us very late. There was a problem with the machine to make them, and while the server apologized, she never came to us and asked if we wanted to order something else instead of wait.

Overall, it was a disappointing and poor experience. I won't go back here nor would I recommend it. I'm actually embarrassed that I was the one to suggest going, and I felt horrible that the bill was so high. The only good aspect was the view, which I'd rather have had a good dining and eating experience.

• Visited July 2012

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Awful Service”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We were starving and only could think of food, and of course the second we declined to order drinks, our server's whole demeanor changed. She stopped smiling and was really short with us. After our food was delivered, she came by once to see how it was and didn't wait for a response because the grilled aspargus was awful. Apparently it's not in season, so why would the restaurant even have it on the menu and why would our server not recommend something else. When we were ready to order drinks, we had to flag down another server because ours was completely ignoring us. If you are planning to go to the rooftop, just order drinks from the bar.

• Visited July 2012
Columbia, MO
“Outstanding”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

excellent place - fantastic food with super service. waiter was really nice guy who made excellent non-condescending recommendations. didn't try to upsell us to order too much. Scallops were the best i ever had. wrapped dates were also very good. strongly recommend.

Visited July 2012
“Tapas”
Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

Average tapas and not really a fancy place, unless you are there in summer and get a drink on the roof

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Tapas portions at full plate prices”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I know my comments may come off as a grouchy, palette-challenged Minnesotan, but I wonder if the tapas idea has come and gone. I've been to Spain and ate some of the best Tapas in Barcelona, so I do understand the concept of small plates to be shared. In Spain, the day's largest meal is lunch, and since dinner is usually eaten late in the evening (starting at 9:00), tapas bars are generally very busy with folks who want to tide themselves over until dinner. If you aren't in too touristy of an area, the plates are often free with drinks!

So, although the tapas here is fine - some very good, some avreage - it is not a place for dinner. The service is very nice. Go here and experience it like happy hour but if you are hungry - skip it. They bring lots of bread to the table because they know people may leave hungry otherwise.

Another minor complaint: It's too dark to read the menu if you sit in the back. All of us are in our 40s and use cheater glasses. We could not read the menus even with the cheaters. Too dark.

For this traditional Spanish experience, it's just too expensive. It's just appetizers folks!

• Visited June 2012