“Decent BBQ in Downtown”

Market Bar-B-Que
Ranked #537 of 1,833 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: For more than 68 years, Market Bar-B-Que has been serving real pit smoked ribs. Back in the days of vaudeville, Market Bar-B-Que was famous for being the late night spot with great barbecue food. In no time at all, it became the Sardis of Minneapolis, an after hours haven for hungry show folks, sports personalities, and just about anybody who was anybody. That was all back in the days when the Farmers' Market, our namesake, was located across the street. Vaudeville is gone, of course, and things have changed a lot over the years. But we still smoke our ribs just like we used to. And we still get all of the important people stopping in to enjoy our food. Even you! We are located at 1414 Nicollet Avenue. That is just 2 blocks south of the Nicollet Mall and 1 block west of the Minneapolis Convention Center. We have free parking behind the restaurant. We accept reservation by calling the restaurant directly.
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Yes I have had better BBQ. But for a downtown location far from BBQ country the food was decent. I enjoyed the Pulled Pork. My wife had a chicken platter.This was my second visit here. Found it within convenient walking distance to area hotel where I stayed. Modest decor replete with pig theme throughout. Make sure to 'ride the pig' (see my picture). We sat in the rear of restaurant/bar and found the this area to be adequate seating so that you weren't sitting atop one another. They have a lot of pig memorabilia to purchase or just pose with. If you are a Law Enforcement Officer you'll enjoy all the old historic police pictures on display.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

The meal was OK but not spectacular by any means. This is a restaurant that has been taken over by the neighborhood. We ate in the bar and many of the clientele looked like they may have left their shopping carts outside. A tough but true statement. The ribs were dry, the pork sandwiches were uninspired. The brisket sandwich was rated better. Kind of a musty place with kind of expensive drinks (beer). For the price (I paid for all) I could have gotten a much better meal for us all. It pains me to say these things because this was a Minneapolis institution.

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Well I'm not sure if Famous Dave's stole from Market or vice versa but they seemed very similar. The food was good, not fantastic but fine. Service had much to be desired. Our waitress did not seem interested in working at all and we had to ask someone else for our check cause we couldn't find her.
I would eat here again if I'm in the area but wouldn't go out of my way to go back.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

My husband and I were up in Minneapolis for a conference and heard a lot of good things about Market Bar-B-Que so we thought we'd try it. The bartender Gary was great and very informative about the history of the restaurant. But, the food was just average. We had the ribs and to be quite honest with you, we've had way better. Even the "chain" barbecue places were better. Maybe the sandwiches would have been the route to take. Oh well, live and learn. I had a piece of Key Lime Pie for dessert and wasn't disappointed with that though. Probably would not go back. Much better places downtown. But, it is within walking distance of hotels and the Convention Center, which is a plus.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Great menu and good tasting food at a good price. A street person asked for our doggy bag on the way out.