“Very nice local bar and restaurant”

Eli's Food and Cocktail East
Ranked #279 of 1,833 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This is a very casual dining spot just east of downtown Minneapolis and very near to one of the newest hot locations in all of the metro. The food is above average and features unique sandwiches and good drinks. It has a cozy diner or sports bar feel to it with no pretense or need to dress up. ZGive this place a chance and tell your friends. It is worth the trip.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I bet it got your attention and yes, they do offer it from time to time. I was not digging it but my other half loved it. Some of the dishes are creative and you think...um..maybe but.... I really enjoy the food. I have been there several times and have tried things I have never had and liked them very much. They also offer basics, some with a twist. Give it a shot, you most likely will enjoy it. They have off street parking and there is parking on the street (just watch out for the potholes).

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Excellent brunch - tassty and filling. Service is slow on Sunday morning's however after 10:30am. The hashbrowns are worth the wait. The mimosas are strong - very little orange juice - so we've stopped ordering them. Pleasant staff except for a redheaded bartender - who may or may not be one of the owners. I've watched her a couple of times interact with her staff and she seems very unpleasant. However, minor criticism. This is a nice restaurant with good food and reasonable prices..

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Went to this restaurant on a suggestion from an aquintence. Their description to me was, " the food is 'good', just good, solid food in a supper club atmosphere'. I love trying new restaraunts and finding good ones. This place was GREAT! Quaint atmosphere, reminded me of a cozy supper club, but up to date. Candles on the table, nice bar, great wall color, and highback booths. The clientel was varied and family friendly, yet the menu was interesting and varied. The food was good, good solid food. I had the special for the day,pan seared chicken with goat cheese mashed potatos and mushrooms. It was fantastic. We shared an appetizer and salad and they were great too. Service was great, and I can't wait to go back. It isn't in my neighborhood, but I wish it were - and I can't wait to introduce friends to Eli's!!

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Eli's has been a downtown staple since 1960. The NE location opened last January and it's the perfect neighborhood joint. They claim, "We're the place to come for a burger after a day of yard work, to celebrate a birthday with a fine steak dinner, grab a PBR with friends, or bring Mom for lunch while she's in town." And they certainly deliver.

Full review here on the Minneapolites blog:

In short?:

Clean, polished, modern look. The handwritten chalkboard menus are a great touch.

Our server was attentive and efficient.

Presentation
A hearty-looking plate of hot, fresh brunch fare.

Taste
This was the second time we've brunched here -- this time, my biscuits and gravy were tasty, but I would definitely recommend the Smoked Salmon Omelet that I had the first time.

Value for Dollars
Pretty reasonable -- around $35 after tip for food and a beer each.