“Good food but bad attitude waiter”

McCormick & Schmick's
Reserve with OpenTable
McCormick & Schmick's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #173 of 1,806 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 9th & Nicollet
Transit: We are 4 blocks from the downtown light rail system.
Description: Unique to Minneapolis, the restaurant has several "snugs" (private booths for six with draperies) in the formal dining room. The handsome interior features handcrafted mahogany, stained glass (depicting Minnesota heritage), brass accents, and Tiffany-style lamps lending a traditional note to the interior. McCormick & Schmick's also features a lively bar experience, with a bar staff that practices traditional mixology -- hand-shaken cocktails using only bottled sodas, freshly squeezed juices and premium liquors.
England, United Kingdom
“Good food but bad attitude waiter”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I ate at McCormicks' with 3 business colleagues for dinner. Very friendly welcoming from the hostess and I joined my colleagues. The food was very good. The wine was also fine, albeit high priced for what it was. However, the waiter seemed to turn rather negative. We couldn't work out what had upset him, apart from us not choosing his recommended even more expensive wine and this rather spoilt the enjoyment of the evening. For the food, I would return, though there is some shortcoming to have a bad attitude waiter. We were eating a bit on the late side at 8pm and there were no other diners when a neighbouring table finished, so the restaurant lacked atmosphere, though it was quite nicely laid out. Total cost for 4 starters, 4 mains and one bottle of wine, excl tip (which was thoroughly undeserved, but I'm told is essential) was $206, so far from cheap. Good fish and steak dishes.

• Visited January 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Minnesota
“Excellent food with professional service”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I've been to several McCormick & Schmick's restaurants in different locations but our home base is Minneapolis. I have never been disappointed at this upscale fish restaurant. Appetizers, soups and entrees have all been great to outstanding. Presentation is done elegantly. Great place for couples, friends or for a boss to thank his employee(s). Servers are there when you need them but are unobtrusive.

• Visited November 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Veteran's Day”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

My wife and I invited our pastor and his wife to join us for Veteran's Day meal.
They enjoyed it so much he made reservations for us for next year.

• Visited November 2013
Atlanta, GA, USA
“Very poor service at the bar; excellent happy hour cheesburger”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Always love the happy hour cheeseburger and fries at McCormick & Schmick's locations (here $3.99 from 4:00 - 6:30) and it was certainly very good here as well. The issue on two visits (Dec 11 and 12, 2013) was the service at the bar, which was very poor. Both bartenders spent the majority of their time at the far end mixing drinks for the dining room servers. That's fine, but the result was really poor service for anyone seated at the bar. In my case, the burger comes, was never asked if I needed anything with it, so just ate it plain rather than fool with getting their attention. The second night I asked for what I needed when I ordered, but no one ever checked back once the food was delivered. Finally, one bartender's personality would be great for a local sports bar, but in my opinion was not up to caliber for a M & S restaurant. I've experienced much better service at other locations in both the bar area and dining room.

• Visited December 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Absolutely wonderful”
Reviewed October 29, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This is our favorite restaurant. The food is consistently excellent and the service is always good. We had the swordfish casino style and the shellfish stew on this visit and both were delicious. Highly recommended.

Visited October 2013