“Very Solid Sunday Brunch!”
Review of JD Hoyt's

JD Hoyt's
Reserve with OpenTable
JD Hoyt's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 1,806 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 3rd Ave. North
Transit: 2 blocks north of the light rail and North Star train
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
“Very Solid Sunday Brunch!”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My wife and I had our first "Hoyt's" experieince recently on a Sunday for their family-style brunch. The asking price of $15 per person seemed reasonable, but since we had an Amazon Local coupon, it was a great deal at 2 for $15!

The atomosphere was really nice, not too nice, not too casual and it was not all that busy when we arrived at 10:30 am. It did get much busier as the moning went on and there were not many table available at 11:45 am when we left.

The food was a GREAT value at $15 per person. They bring you out a huge plate loaded with several meats, cajun hashbrowns, scrambled eggs, and biscuits and gravy. Everything (especially the meats) tasted awesome. The meats are all cooked over a hickory open fire grill and you can taste the difference that makes...really good smokey flavor! Coffee and/or OJ is included, and you even get to finish your meal off with beignets, which instantly transported my wife and I from the harsh winter to being at the state fair! And the cool part is that it is all you can eat, so they will bring you extra portions of whatever you wish (think cruise-ship style). We were even visited by the owner/manager, which is always a nice touch.

The only things keeping me from giving this a full 5 "circles" are as follows:
1. Most of the food is very salty. It is very tasty, but some of it was overly salted for our taste.
2. The location is a bit seedy. It's plopped in the middle of a bunch of strip clubs. Although this might be a plus for some reading this review, I would personally hesitate before bringing my kids here for this reason.
3. The prescence of TV's everywhere kinda ruined the vibe for me. They have this really cool, kinda diner / supper club thing going, and then there are all these TV's with sportcenter, soccer, and I even saw diving on them. The place doesn't need it and I think it takes away from the feel of the place.

All-in-all though I would HIGHLY recommend it...and if you have a groupon or such thing, it is a absolutely MUST!

• Visited February 2014

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“amazing from start to finish”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

my wife and i visited JD Hoyt's the day after valentines. When we walked in we were greeted by the owner pat who sat us immediatly, we ordered the famous buddy bowl and added scallops it was amazing. My wife order the steak spaulding so good and i ordered the sword fish blackned never had it better anywhere. all the staff there are great we've been going to hoyt's for over 15 years now and it's by far our favorite place to go.

• Visited February 2014
Lausanne, Switzerland
“my favorite steak house”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

It's the place where I go when I'm in Minneapolis for a steack. Nice place and good food, I will go again!

• Visited March 2013
La Vista, Nebraska, United States
“Perfect Finish to a Great Day!”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stopped in after catching a game at the Metrodome. The atmosphere was relaxed and sat us immediately. While the prices were on the higher end of our budget for our trip, we decided to give it a try.

For our appetizer we ordered the sirloin tips. They came out perfectly grilled medium with three sauces. All were amazing.

We then ordered a Kobe burger, a chicken and chop, and a half rack and chop meals.

The burger was delightful, the chops were giagantic and flavorful; and the chicken and ribs disappeared faster than once could imagine. Dinner was also served with veggies and cheesy garlic toast. FANTASTIC!!

Our waitress after boxing up what we could not stuff into ourselves asked about dessert. While we were all 3 stuffed to our limits we thought we should at least listen to what they had. She mentioned the Grilled bananas was a specialty, so we went for it and got one to split.

It was a grilled banana smothered in ice-cream, fresh fruit and CARAMEL. We found ourselves jousting with our spoons to finish this scrumptious delight.

Next time I am in town I will definitely be back!!!!

• Visited December 2013
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“One of the best meals I've ever had”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We visited JD Hoyt's on a Sunday evening after a Vikings game with one of the players who we're friends with. There was a rather large group of us (around 15), so we were able to sit in a private room with the games on a projector screen the size of the wall. We started out with appetizers of fried calamari, crab cakes, and the "Buddy Bowl". Everyone talked up the Buddy Bowl before we went so I was eager to try it. Be prepared because it is HUGE! The base is red beans and rice, topped with melted cheese. There is an assortment of seafood on top including scallops, grilled shrimp, and what I think was tilapia (sometimes the white fish is hard to tell apart). It was all very good with cajun seasoning. I think the scallops were probably my favorite part because they were just so perfectly cooked. The crab cakes are AMAZING, and I'm not exaggerating, A-MAZING. They have a beautiful sauce on top and just melt in your mouth.
For the main dish, I chose the 5-oz filet with scallops. It came with a side of vegetables, and we had a side of hash brown potatoes. That was probably one of the best steaks I've ever had. They have an equally impressive wine and drink list. I chose the Meiomi Belle Glos pinot noir and it complimented the steak perfectly. Our servers were absolutely wonderful and very knowledgeable about the menus. I would absolutely go back again!

• Visited December 2013