“Tasty bistro food.”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
“Tasty bistro food.”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Mussels and frites were excellent. A limited menu but classic bistro choices that were very tasty. Friendly owner. Definitely will return.

1 Thank Johndraws

Bloomington, Minnesota
“Unique food in a casual atmosphere”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

We have eaten at Cave Vin a couple of times. The food is very good and the atmosphere is comfortably casual. The place is quite small so I would definitely recommend reservations. This is a great option for a night out with friends.

2 Thank Lancburm
Minneapolis
“Cozy neighborhood gem”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Four friends went for dinner on a Friday night. We were happy to get last minute reservations.

We were met at the door by the owner. Atmosphere was very pleasant: intimate, not-too-noisy, unpretentious. Service was friendly and attentive. Wine was fairly priced and food was above average. My date enjoyed the Steak Frites but best entree by far was the Pistachio Pork Tenderloin. I can't wait to go back and order it again!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank mplsben
Excelsior, Minnesota
“A true out of the way gem.”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

If you want lavish surrounding this is not the place. If however you want great food and wine at a reasonable price this is the place to go. Stuck in a residential area you could easily drive by but don't.

• Visited September 2011
Gainesville, Florida
“Unassuming Locale With an Amazing Dining Experience & Terrific Food”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

My date and I stumbled across this restaurant on a Monday night after we attempted to go to the pizza restaurant next door. Disappointed by the closed pizza joint we checked out Cave Vin's menu, thinking that based off it's location in a small strip mall coupled with the fact we'd never heard of it (being from the neighborhood) that it would be an average place. We were very wrong- this place was great. I eat sleep and breathe off trip advisor reviews and had skimmed over this place. I'm very glad we stumbled into it.

I had one of the best dining experiences I've had in a long time. The owner met us at the door and handed us a menu. He is an extremely nice and likable person. Had a nice conversation,and after seeing that everything on the menu looked delicious we decided to stay.

The server was perfect. He was right there at the table helping us after we sat down,bringing us great french bread and seconds on it to dip the left over sauce from the mussels & frites we ordered for an appetizer. Anytime the water glass started to empty they were right there. Everyone in the restaurant knows how to read a table properly. The owner also checked in a few times and gave recommendations. Server paired an amazing bottle of wine to match out entree selections. We ended up ordering a second bottle. He also boasted that they had the best french fries in Minneapolis. I tried to call him on his bluff and he won. They were the best I've had in Minneapolis. They tasted just like the frites that I've had in the best Parisian cafes, and the dipping sauce was delectable. The mussels were very good, but not as good as some of the cafes in France or coastal US. For Minneapolis they were at the top.

My date ordered the pork tenderloin and I had the salmon. I wasn't a fan of the lentils that came with my fish, but the fish itself was cooked perfectly and had great seasonings. My date's pork tenderloin was out of this world. It came with roasted peaches and potatoes. The pork was cooked perfectly. I will remember how good the peaches were for years. I could have eaten an entire meal out of them. And the potatoes were perfectly cooked and soaked in the sauce and drippings from the meat and peaches. I wouldn't order the salmon again unless they reduce the amount of lentils and add some kind of vegetable to the plate. But I would order the pork tenderloin over and over again.

We were stuffed by the time the desert menu came around and couldn't eat anymore. Then the owner brought us the last piece of Tres Leche for us to try (at no charge). Once again, it was amazing. He explained it was once of the chef's specialty. I recommend ordering it. Everything on the desert menu looked solid.

When we were leaving the owner said thank you and we stopped to talk a little. He asked us where else in the neighborhood we like to eat, and then he gave us recommendations for restaurants that he has no affiliation for. Some were for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. He even suggested what time we go because of when crowds get to those restaurants and meals to try. We discussed a wide variety of food and he gave us a place he said has the best fish tacos in Minneapolis. Such a nice guy. Even if the food wasn't as great I would have wanted to recommend this place just because of his personality. He even wrote his suggestions down for us so we wouldn't forget,including the different items.

The first thing to remember about this place is that on Monday and Tuesday it's half price wine bottle night. They have a very nice wine selection that isn't too overwhelming. This is a perfect place for a date night,or a gathering of a small group (3-8). Apparently this is a locals favorite we never knew about. The servers seemed to know everyone by name and knew about their families. It was a very friendly atmosphere. We were there for about 2 hours,and most of the other tables were there before we sat down and after we left. The server and owner told us that they see the same people every Monday & Tuesday.

My only regret is in writing this review. I selfishly want this place to stay small and just like it is. There was no wait for the table, the food was timed perfectly, service right on. I'm afraid if more people knew how great it was that it would become crowded. So stay away on Monday and Tuesday night so I can be sure to get a table because I'll be going back. In all seriousness, I hope they do well and you should check it out (especially on a Monday or Tuesday). We will be going back.

Visited September 2011