“A favorite we visit every trip to the Cities.”
Review of The Malt Shop

The Malt Shop
Ranked #13 of 61 Dessert in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch
Description: The Malt Shop provides a friendly, warm dining experience in a quaint, comfy dining room. All of our food is prepared to your order and special request are welcome. We make all of our soups and sauces from quality fresh ingredients. Our burgers are hand pattied daily using only fresh ground beef. We offer a nice selection of local craft beers as well as wines by the glass or carafe.
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Yes, the shakes are great. We had a butterscotch shake and a burger and blackbean veggie burger with fries. All were very good and the service friendly, efficient, and timely. We make it a point to visit this cool neighborhood restaurant when in this area. Glad it is vegetarian friendly.
Be sure to check out Patina, the great botique gift shop a couple of doors down.

RSHENKE, Owner at The Malt Shop, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2011

Thanks for your great review. we have so many guests like you who stop in when they come to the Cities. One man makes us his first stop after leaving the airport! We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

Impressive selection of malts and shakes. My blueberry shake was ok but had too much blueberry mulch left in it. My husband was happy with his banana split and our grand daughter loved her chocolate malt.

Lunch was okay and we hadn't expected much. The mac and cheese is literally Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and that is fully disclosed on the menu. The meatloaf sandwich with gravy was edible. My black bean soup was pretty good. My sandwich was tuna salad with cashews. It could have used more mayo but was otherwise pretty average.

The waitress seemed stretched. Service was a little slow but she was pleasant and apologetic when things didn't go perfectly.

We'd definitely go back for ice cream treats.

Reviewed October 12, 2011

Bad greasy food. Needs to learn about healthier and fresher food. I love burgers. But these are lousey

Reviewed July 1, 2011

I had a raspberry malt and it was wonderful. They have at least 20 flavors and some are quite unusual...pumpkin being one. In my group, we ordered sliders, hot beef sandwich and enchiladas and the food was mediocre. I would definitely go for the malts and then leave. The staff was very friendly.

Reviewed June 16, 2011

We live within a few miles & have been going to the Malt Shop regularly for years. The malts are delicious! We take our adult children & our parents. We always call ahead to see if the piano player is there: if so, we won't go. She plays TOO LOUD, and every song sounds the same. She plays so loud you can't even talk to other people at your table without yelling. My dad wears a hearing aid in one ear and it's excruciating for him when that particular person is playing (I believe it's always Sunday night). That complaining aside, the malts are wonderful. We each have our favorites, but are willing to experiment. Service has always been friendly. The ambiance is actually kind of fun and old fashioned, if a bit tired. We don't always eat a meal, the malts are what we go for, but I'd say the food is somewhat hit or miss. Sometimes it's just ok. The selection is also somewhat old fashioned. The salads need help! But the malts are super - I've never had a better malt.