“This is my favorite restaurant!”
Review of Signature Cafe

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: University / Dinkytown
Cross street: Franklin
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I have been fortunate in that I often get to try expensive restaurants in the Twin Cities on the company's dime for work. So I've been to many of the trendy and expensive places in town and often left disappointed and even hungry (when portions are tiny).

That NEVER happens at Signature Cafe--you will not be disappointed OR hungry. The portion sizes are generous and the food is wonderful. The owners know the people that their ingredients come from--often referencing them by first name. This means that all of their food is high quality. They also support their staff with health insurance which is really nice. My parents owned their own business so I understand how expensive that is to do. I wish their food were a bit less expensive so I could go more often. But understanding the real value of what I'm paying for makes it worth it when I do go.

Please give this place a try! I recommend the pork short ribs, pot roast, polenta thingy and the bread pudding when they have it.

2  Thank KBMicrobio

Reviewed December 29, 2009

Always satisfying & has been for 6 years.
It is a small, comfortable place, hidden in the Prospect Park neighborhood, providing a warm, comfortable atmosphere, thoughtful service, and memorable comfort food. Using healthy, locally grown food, sustainable & organic when possible, Nathalie and Tony have provided endless memorable evenings for us and our friends. Dinner offerings always include fish, pasta, chicken, at least one vegetarian offering and more. Lunch is also special, with soup, salads, sandwiches, pasta, & a daily special. Love their crab cakes, best I have ever had, & that includes both coasts! Nathalie seems to love to create new meals. We often order "What ever the chef thinks" and are always pleased. The Monday tasting menu, with optional wine flights is highly recommended.. Wine selection & advise make all of our meals even better. From starters to dessert, entrees to wines, they provide a wonderful dining experience. A specific recommendation? It just doesn't matter, you will enjoy your dinning experience! Our friends love it as much as we do. Don't miss this wonderful place!

1  Thank ptjohn2
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 24, 2008

I always love the garlic fava beans. They are delicious

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 23, 2008

The Signature Cafe is tiny, nicely decorated, has a great patio, is in a lovely tree-lined neighborhood of wonderful old houses tucked between busy academic and industrial parts of Minneapolis and St. Paul, a real island of calm.
The food is excellent. Best of all is the freshness of the ingredients. A house salad, albeit a bit pricey, was absolutely delicious. Better (and fresher) greens than I have gotten from my own garden. The dressing was subtle so as not to hide the wonderful flavor of the leaves. The main course creative, the side dishes very original. Desert was a great Key Lime pie which tasted like Key Limes, not generic limes or lime juice.
But we were put off by the rules. The place was empty on this Sunday night. My wife asked for a larger table than the two-top we were shown. Nope. "We put two people at the smaller tables." "Because you are so busy tonight?" "We try to keep to our policy." The menu listed many more rules: $12 minimum per person. "We don't split plates."
At the bottom, this rigidity was explained: We give our help health coverage. We support worthy earth-friendly causes...etc. Fine. That's nice. So do I.
So, maybe be a little more Liberal, flexible, and trusting in your policies and their application?

4  Thank MnVan
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed February 24, 2008

I love that the Signature Cafe is in the middle of a cute neighborhood. The food is always amazing and the owners are very helpful and provide great service.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook