“Disappointing...avoid Strawberry”

Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing...avoid Strawberry”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

My wife and I have gotten ice cream a few times from Pumphouse. Some flavors such as Sea Salt, Homemade Caramel are very good. But this last time, I had Strawberry and it was very disappointing. It was full of ice crystals (so ice cream was not smooth) and seemed to leave a strange taste/residue in my mouth.

• Visited April 2012

Duluth, MN
“Delicious!”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My signifcant other and I dropped into the Pumphouse to see what it was all about. It's one of the last places we had left to try in the 48th and Chicago area. Holy cow, were we surprised! This place is uneblievable. I ordered the Sea Salt, Homemade Caramel, and Praline Pecan ice cream. This was to die for. It had just the tiniest bit of saltiness which was perfectly complimented by the caramel and creamy ice cream. I couldn't stop thinking about this ice cream for days afterward -- no lie! A characteristic I adore about this place is also that they source their milk from a local farmer in nearby WI. Their ice cream is so rich and fantastic (and not overly sweet/sugary!), I promise you won't be disappointed! They also offer samples, which ensures you get exactly what you want!

• Visited April 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Very Best Ice Cream”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Pumphouse Creamery sits in a tiny storefront on the 4700 block of Chicago Avenue South. But wondrous things wait inside. I've been here time and again, alone, with friends, and with my two nieces. It's a treat every time. The ice cream is rich, sweet and full of wonderful flavors. Flavors change with the season. Personal favorites are kulfi (cardamom, rosewater and ground pistachios), strawberry, and butter pecan. Lines on summer weekends can be long and seating is in very short supply.

• Visited January 2012
Winnipeg
“Best in the Twin Cities”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We've gone here several times over the years and it's always been a great experience. The ice cream is excellent. Sometimes, I can still feel thin layer of the fat/ cream on my lips even after wiping my face with a napkin. They have a wide selection including sorbet/ fruity type flavors. The sugar waffle cone is home made and very healthy tasting. It's easy to tell that there are no preservatives in their food. Having said that, the price is a little more than what you'd expect from your average ice cream store. The prices in general are slowly increasing too so maybe they just had the jump on the rest of the group. The ice creams are also not overly sweet so you don't feel like your teeth are rotting as you eat. Service has always been great but it can get very busy in the summers. It is sometimes crazy but definitely worth the wait.

• Visited September 2011
Minnesota
“Best ice cream in the Twin Cities!”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We have visited Pumphouse creamery more than 20 times over the past few years. The flavors are delicious and the variety offers something for everyone. The homemade cones are a bit small, but they absolutely are the best I've ever had. Try the Salted Caramel w/Pralines - it is the best ever!

This place is always on our list for a weekend stop.

• Visited August 2011