“Ne Plus Ultra of French dining in Minneapolis”
Review of Vincent - A Restaurant - CLOSED

Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 11th & Nicollet
Transit: 11th or 12th and Nicollet
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Vincent a Restaurant is the one of maybe three places that are the ne plus ultra of French dining in Minneapolis. We have many of our important celebrations there, been to private parties, and even sat at the kitchen table for one birthday. Vincent Francoul moved here for love, and stayed to bring us classic fine French dining. The restaurant is simple, but luxe. I've noticed that whenever I'm wearing black, the wait people always unobtrusively switch out the white napkin for black for me. The place is usually filled at lunch time with power lunchers and at dinner with fashionable pre-theatre and special occasion diners. The food is usually classic, maybe with a modern twist. On our most recent trip, we had the escargot, steak tartare, pork loin roast, fluke, and the hamburger - lauded as one of the best in town. All terrific. I particularly like the classic appetizers, like the escargot, foie gras and tartate and the fish dishes, like the fluke, and in the past, the skate. The cassoulet is great, the steak frites as well, and the wine list is long and fun. The service is usually the best in town; assured, helpful and unobtrusive (except on our most recent visit - the main course plates were just plopped down in front of us - (I think they were busy and overbooked). The location an Nicollet Mall is lovely, overlooking the street and Orchestra Hall - good people watching! Vincent ranks as my husband's favorite restaurant in town.

1  Thank Deborah K

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Tasty but small servings at a higher than small price. It was busy, and maybe it was just me, but I felt once we decided to forgo wine we were secondary.
They offer a multiple course tasting menu with wine as an option. Two of four were interested; however, the waiter said it was their policy that we could only do that if the entire table did it, without explanation. My ideal upper-end restaurant doesn't dismiss a patron's request without explanation. I go to a nice restaurant to feel good, not get scolded for not knowing their "policies."

1  Thank SeasPlaces
Reviewed March 29, 2014

My wife and her sister and our brother-in-law went to Vincent on bitterly cold Minneapolis evening. Three of us had the standard prix fixe and my wife had the chef's. What marks this restaurant down was the amuse bouche which my wife had was a small portion of soup of the day!
The service could have been better AND our coats were not taken.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

The setting of white table clothes suggests elegant and romantic dining, that part is true. Each dish was beautifully presented. The steak tartare presentation was great if only the tartare was not half tomato so it seemed like raw beef with chili sauce. The cassoulet was a large dish of dried beans with no taste. The sauces in the tasting menu were excellent. The butternut squash soup was pretty and bland. The scallop was good. The lamb shank was more like old sheep. The dessert was less than stellar. Oh well you win some but not here.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

My husband and I and our teenage son had dinner at Vincent on Friday evening before heading over to hear the Minnesota Orchestra across the street. Such a treat to have staff that are pros, on top of everything from the minute we walked in the door. Friendly greeting, took our coats, walked us to our table that was, yes, ready and waiting at the time we'd reserved, and waiter helped me find a cocktail I loved (St. Germain and sparking wine - perfect!) Favorite appetizer was the Alsatian flatbread -- a must! Seriously good! Our son tried the famous burger, I enjoyed the scallops, and my husband's beef filet was amazing (and I'm not a big fan of beef). A highlight is all the great side dishes -- fries are amazing (thin and crispy as a proper fry should be), brussel sprouts, and some amazing sweet potato gnocci. Best dessert was the Three Creams. A really lovely evening and a completely satisfying and delicious dinner. Bravo!

1  Thank travelplannermom