“An unforgettable night of great food, service and friends!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Lurcat

Cafe Lurcat
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Lurcat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 1,779 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American, Gluten Free
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Rochester
“An unforgettable night of great food, service and friends!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

To start, this restaurant should definitely be ranked higher than #10 in the Minneapolis area.

When to dine: We visited on a Sunday night which I fully recommend. Sunday night is "date night" which includes a bottle of wine, 2 appetizers, 2 main dishes, and 2 desserts for $50/couple.

Food reviews:

Appetizers: Roasted wild mushrooms on brioche with camembert goat cheese (mouthwatering!) and aged balsamic along with the apple, cheese, and chive salad were both incredible.

Main dishes: The New York Strip Steak was the winner of the night. The boneless half chicken and Udon noodles(very spicy) were both a close second.

Desserts: The warm cinnamon-sugar doughnuts were perfectly done (although a dipping sauce of some kind would really spruce this dessert up and make it stand out from the doughnut shops at the State Fair). The triple chocolate cream cake was delightful as well but didn't surpass the doughnuts.

Service: Joseph did an incredible job as our waiter. He was knowledgeable, efficient, very friendly/attentive and was very welcoming (even though we showed up 15 minutes late for our reservation and were the last people to leave the restaurant).

Location: Easy to find although it's not on a main street. Parking is right across the street and the restaurant is very elegant. Dress nicely for your contemporary, chic dining experience. Be sure to make a reservation as this place fills up fast, especially on the weekends (can be made on this website, opentable, or by phone call).

Ambiance: Great for a first date, night with friends, relatives, etc. It has a chic, sophisticated yet comfortable/cozy feel that makes you feel right at home. I wouldn't recommend bringing children here but I believe the older generation would appreciate the food as much as the younger generation appreciates the decor so bring your parents when they come to visit!

Overall impression: You are sure to love this place. A true gem in the cities that isn't to be missed!

“Pricey, but worth it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I visited Cafe Lurcat for the first time & loved it. The atmosphere is great, the service is excellent, and the food is outstanding. We started the meal with the apple, cheese, and chive salad, which far exceeded my expectations. I had the hangar steak and my wife had the pork roast; both were delicious. We don't often splurge on a restaurant this expensive, but we found Cafe Lurcat to be worth every penny.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Cheesy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My experience at Cafe Lurcat was cheesy. Seriously, the place smelled like intense, cooking cheese. The intoxicating aroma was pleasant to begin with, but by the end of dinner what once was inviting turned nauseating.

As you can picture with a place that smells like being stuffed into the pot of a fontina cheese fondue, a lot of the dishes were served with pungent cheeses. The chef there must obsess about cheese.
Now I enjoy most spreads. Unfortunately the ones I dislike -- sheep, goat and bleu -- were the ones being served.

Manchego cheese ruined the highly praised apples, cheese, chives salad for me. I asked the waiter to remove the Manchego - he politely did -- but that essentially left me with a seasoned sliced apple for the restaurant price of $9.50.
That was my first "I could have made that myself" moment of the night. For a lot cheaper, too.

After really enjoying the tuna tartare, which was absolutely delicious -- flavorful and yet light to the palate and stomach -- my girlfriend and I split the sea bass and the New York Strip Steak with Beurre Gascogne and Blue Cheese-Stuffed Onions.

Sea bass is my favorite fish. Cafe Lurcat killed the tender delectable meat taste with an overbearing, not in any way complimentary salty, orange-tasting miso sauce. The only saving grace was the sprig of greens accompanying the bass. It helped quash the saltiness.

I figured I wouldn't like the stuffed onions -- I was right on account of the bleu cheese -- but I was hoping the New York Strip Steak, which the waiter recommended, would lift my to this point disappointing experience. It didn't.

Again, this is a matter of preference, but good cuts of meat should be allowed to speak for themselves. Little additional flavoring, if any, needs to be added.
The Cafe Lurcat chef, though, thought it a good idea to pour a small bag's worth of rosemary (I believe) on top. And here I thought beurre gascogne was only garlic and pork fat flavoring. Nuh-uh. Not at Cafe Lurcat. Plus the cut came out warm, not hot.

Since I don't ever buy sea bass the steak was my second "I could have made that myself" moment of the night. It would have been better, too.

For dessert, we got the warm cinnamon-sugar doughnuts. They were fine -- for snacking on while at the State Fair or a sporting event. Seriously, that's the complimentary birthday dessert at this upscale place? I thought $4.50 for a bag at Mariucci Arena was high. These normally are $7.

I admit this is getting pretty picky, but Lurcat's Eiffel Tower drink was served in a lowball glass. If it's the Eiffel Tower, wouldn't it make sense to put it in a martini glass or some tall skinny beer glass?

Overall, again, I enjoyed the atmosphere of the upscale industrial Cafe Lurcat and some of the food truly exceeded my expectations (the tartare), but my personal preferences mostly clashed with the that of the chef's and decidedly the experience was not worth the exorbitant price.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Mark M
“Must go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I went to Cafe Lurcat for Restaurant Week and was blown away by how great it was! The Apple, Chive, and Cheese salad is to die for and completely unique in how it is made and displayed. The atmosphere is very sophisticated but cozy which makes it perfect for a romantic date or a place to take your parents. Not sure there is really anything on the menu that isn't mind blowing.

• 5 of 5 stars
“Really cool atmosphere and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Cool atmosphere - location has lots of history. Great place to bring out of town guests or clients who want to see an authentic MPLS hang out - with cool urban vibe, great bar and solid menu. Food has always been good - and they are great about accommodating gluten free, or other diet restrictions. Really great bar/lounge and super cool crowd. yummy. loved it.

• Visited February 2013