“Pricey, but worth it.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Lurcat

Cafe Lurcat
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Lurcat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 1,780 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American, Gluten Free
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
“Pricey, but worth it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I visited Cafe Lurcat for the first time & loved it. The atmosphere is great, the service is excellent, and the food is outstanding. We started the meal with the apple, cheese, and chive salad, which far exceeded my expectations. I had the hangar steak and my wife had the pork roast; both were delicious. We don't often splurge on a restaurant this expensive, but we found Cafe Lurcat to be worth every penny.

• Visited March 2013

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Cheesy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My experience at Cafe Lurcat was cheesy. Seriously, the place smelled like intense, cooking cheese. The intoxicating aroma was pleasant to begin with, but by the end of dinner what once was inviting turned nauseating.

As you can picture with a place that smells like being stuffed into the pot of a fontina cheese fondue, a lot of the dishes were served with pungent cheeses. The chef there must obsess about cheese.
Now I enjoy most spreads. Unfortunately the ones I dislike -- sheep, goat and bleu -- were the ones being served.

Manchego cheese ruined the highly praised apples, cheese, chives salad for me. I asked the waiter to remove the Manchego - he politely did -- but that essentially left me with a seasoned sliced apple for the restaurant price of $9.50.
That was my first "I could have made that myself" moment of the night. For a lot cheaper, too.

After really enjoying the tuna tartare, which was absolutely delicious -- flavorful and yet light to the palate and stomach -- my girlfriend and I split the sea bass and the New York Strip Steak with Beurre Gascogne and Blue Cheese-Stuffed Onions.

Sea bass is my favorite fish. Cafe Lurcat killed the tender delectable meat taste with an overbearing, not in any way complimentary salty, orange-tasting miso sauce. The only saving grace was the sprig of greens accompanying the bass. It helped quash the saltiness.

I figured I wouldn't like the stuffed onions -- I was right on account of the bleu cheese -- but I was hoping the New York Strip Steak, which the waiter recommended, would lift my to this point disappointing experience. It didn't.

Again, this is a matter of preference, but good cuts of meat should be allowed to speak for themselves. Little additional flavoring, if any, needs to be added.
The Cafe Lurcat chef, though, thought it a good idea to pour a small bag's worth of rosemary (I believe) on top. And here I thought beurre gascogne was only garlic and pork fat flavoring. Nuh-uh. Not at Cafe Lurcat. Plus the cut came out warm, not hot.

Since I don't ever buy sea bass the steak was my second "I could have made that myself" moment of the night. It would have been better, too.

For dessert, we got the warm cinnamon-sugar doughnuts. They were fine -- for snacking on while at the State Fair or a sporting event. Seriously, that's the complimentary birthday dessert at this upscale place? I thought $4.50 for a bag at Mariucci Arena was high. These normally are $7.

I admit this is getting pretty picky, but Lurcat's Eiffel Tower drink was served in a lowball glass. If it's the Eiffel Tower, wouldn't it make sense to put it in a martini glass or some tall skinny beer glass?

Overall, again, I enjoyed the atmosphere of the upscale industrial Cafe Lurcat and some of the food truly exceeded my expectations (the tartare), but my personal preferences mostly clashed with the that of the chef's and decidedly the experience was not worth the exorbitant price.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Mark M
“Must go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I went to Cafe Lurcat for Restaurant Week and was blown away by how great it was! The Apple, Chive, and Cheese salad is to die for and completely unique in how it is made and displayed. The atmosphere is very sophisticated but cozy which makes it perfect for a romantic date or a place to take your parents. Not sure there is really anything on the menu that isn't mind blowing.

• 5 of 5 stars
“Really cool atmosphere and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Cool atmosphere - location has lots of history. Great place to bring out of town guests or clients who want to see an authentic MPLS hang out - with cool urban vibe, great bar and solid menu. Food has always been good - and they are great about accommodating gluten free, or other diet restrictions. Really great bar/lounge and super cool crowd. yummy. loved it.

• Visited February 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Lurcat is a favorite of ours. I was slow to warm up to Lurcat having loved the predecessor (Loring Cafe) in the same building. That was before I tried the food! The sea bass (Nobu style) is fabulous as are the hangar steak, the scallops and the pot roast. Honestly, you can't go wrong. The apple/cheese/chive salad is wonderful and don't miss the roasted cauliflower. I roast cauliflower at home and we devour it but it does not compare to that at Lurcat. Our servers have always been attentive and knowledgeable without being overbearing. Lurcat is one of the few restaurants where we receive the bill and I feel like it was worth the price. LOVE IT!

• Visited February 2013