“Great food in a really pretty setting”
Review of Cafe Lurcat

Cafe Lurcat
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Lurcat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 1,826 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed January 30, 2013

A group from work had a great dinner here this week. it is in an older building that has managed to retain a lot of the original character with large windows overlooking Loring Park. The food and service lived up to the ambiance. We had several different appetizers and salds - my favorites were the ahi spring rolls and the beet salad. Skip the salmon entree - the lamb, hanger steak and udon noodle dishes were all great.

Nice place, great food, good service. I'd definitely go back.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

It was our 36th anniversary, and we wanted to eat at a place which was special. Cafe Lurcat's Sunday date night menu fit the bill perfectly. This menu is more limited than the regular one, but the food is fabulous and the price ($ 50 per couple) made this special meal worth it. My husband had the hanger steak with roasted garlic, and I had the pork loin with roasted onion and fig sauce. Both were excellent. The food is fresh and made on site by chefs who know what they are doing. We opted for a bottle of Christian Regale pomegranite drink, but could have had a choce from two other wines. Both of us chose to have the Honey Crisp apple, cheese, and chive salad to begin our meal, and we weren't disappointed. I also ordered winter squash with maple syrup and roasted walnuts (which cost $9 + extra) and was to die for! My husband had the French fries for which Cafe Lurcat is well known, which came with both ketchup and the in-house made Bernaise sauce and was about $ 9 + extra. He said he has never had better. Dessert comes with this meal, and he opted for the cinnamon/sugar donuts, while I chose the Triple Chocolate Cream Cake with a dark chocolate Freuilletine Crunch (a stick-shaped cookie). Both were amazing!

Cafe Lurcat has a separate bar menu of small dishes more reasonably priced and a full bar. They take reservations, and because we choose to eat around 5: 30 PM, we had no trouble finding parking nearby. My heart went out to the young lads standing out front of this restaurant who do valet parking (which we didn't need to use). It was well below zero that night. They were uncomplaining and dressed warmly. Our waiter, John, was attentive, friendly, and kind. We can't say enough good about this place, and will certainly want to go back on another special occasion. While Cafe Lurcat is in a very old building, it has been modernized in the best way it could have been. I managed to climb the steps leading to the front door with the help of a good banister that is there. I don't know if there is a handicapped entrance or not. The dinning room is quite beauiful, lined with big windows and soft lighting. The chairs at the tables were more comfortable than I've ever encountered in a restaurant, and the tables were clothed in white clothes with cloth napkins. It's modern, stylish, and inviting. One sees Loring Park and a lighted church spire emerging through the trees. How great is that!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Cafe Lurcat is one of my favorite places to have a meal in Minneapolis. It is located off of Loring Park and is a bit out of the downtown area. They have a wonderful menu, my favorite item being the simple Apple Cheese and Chive Salad.
It is on the pricey side but it is worth it if you are celebrating a special event. They have wonderful service as well.

Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

We love Lurcat. Can't beat date night deal. The sausage appetizers they added were very tastey and the new fig pork tenderloin was wonderful.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were a group of five, aged 55 to 90, looking for a fun and special evening meal. We certainly found it at Cafe Lurcat. Most wonderful was the truly excellent quality of the service staff. They were very friendly while absolutely professional. Their knowledge of the menu was very helpful, and the sense of timing truly amazing. I think the entrees for all five of us arrived within a span of 15 seconds. As we were eating the staff successfully and expertly remained helpfully attentive and aware without leaving us feeling as though we were being scrutinized. There was no hovering. The parking valet had our car warmed up and waiting for us as soon as we stood up from our table. Hurray and thanks to everyone there!

The menu is a la carte, but do not skimp on any of the courses. Each food item was delightful with excellent taste and presentation. I personally recommend the apple salad and the beets were also wonderful. The five of us ate full meals without alcohol. Our bill came to about $350.

The atmosphere is energetic and, for our group of soft speakers, a bit loud. We were seated at a larger circular table and, at times, concentration was necessary to hear from across the table. The cafe features an open kitchen which is fascinating to watch. The view of Loring Park is also wonderful. If you are looking for a very quiet, intimate atmosphere with no distractions, Cafe Lurcat may not be a good choice, but if you are looking for excellent food, excellent service in a fun and energetic environment, this restaurant enjoys my highest recommendation.

1  Thank ChelvisGeo