“Excellent Restaurant Next to the Lobby of the Radisson Plaza”

FireLake Grill House & Cocktail Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
FireLake Grill House & Cocktail Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 1,862 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Hennepin
Transit: 2 blocks from the light rail. 1/2 block from bus route.
Description: FireLake embodies the flavor of flame and features a menu that takes its inspiration from traditional Minnesota cooking techniques. The menu features a passionate exploration of fresh, local ingredients and unique flavors that can only be delivered by real burning wood.
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I add breakfast and lunch several times at the Firelake, which is conveniently off the lobby of the Radisson Plaza. The food was both excellent and reasonably priced, which is more than one normally expects from a hotel restaurant.

2  Thank Jim M

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I read some of the 4- and 5-star reviews on this place. Maybe I caught them on an off night. Maybe it was me. I don't know. But I would NEVER go back to this place. Here's my story and I'm sticking to it:

I stumbled upon Fire Lake Grill on a Monday night. I saw (on another site) that it had good reviews, so I went in. The front door opens into the bar area (the main dining room is in back) and I sat at a high-top table in the front. I was greeted in a reasonably prompt manner and ordered an iced tea to drink. There was an alcoholic beverage menu on the table when I was seated. I was there for dinner and was expecting to be given a dinner menu. I sat there with the iced tea for what seemed like an eternity before the waitress finally came by and asked how my tea was. I had sat for so long with my tea that I actually had considered CALLING the restaurant and asking for someone to come to my table (I did that once before in a restaurant in Atlanta).

Now, again, maybe it's ME. But if you're a server and your patron orders an iced tea, would you not think that he or she is not interested in alcohol? When she finally came around and asked about the tea, I asked her for a dinner menu. At her suggestion, I ordered the walleye burger. She also recommended the French fries.

The walleye burger was not bad (this saved the place from a 1-star rating). Not outstanding or awe-inspiring, but not bad. The fries, on the other hand, s***ed. They were heavily spiced and didn't taste that bad. But they were not fresh. They were very hot, but I could tell that they had sat for quite some time under a heat lamp.

The aforementioned waitress, in my opinion, displayed almost NO personality. It's not that she was rude; she was not. She just wasn't personable. Given the amount of time that I was made to sit, the just-OK walleye burger, and the horrible French fries (the tea was acceptable but not inspiring either), this place gets two stars. And I'm being generous.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I had both lunch and dinner here, and the food is absolutely outstanding. The menu is so unique, with items I've never seen. For lunch I had the mushroom-leek-wild rice soup and it was deliciously creamy. My friend had an omelette and said it was wonderful. She also had a cup of fresh fruit - and the raspberries, blueberries and strawberries very really flavorful.

The dinner was one of the best I've ever had. I decided to be adventuresome and ordered the Bison Marrow with braised lamb. I also had one of their house specialties - a popover. The bison marrow with braised lamb was indescribably delicious. I finished with their lemon chantilly with blueberry coulis, which was light and creamy and a delicious ending to a wonderful meal.

My friend is both gluten and lactose intolerant, and the server checked several times with the chef to ensure that the meal she ordered wouldn't cause problems. Service was outstanding.

2  Thank Arty T
Reviewed September 15, 2013

What a great place!! We had such a fantastic meal here!! The food was superb and our waitress was the best!!
If you have a chance to enjoy a meal here, GO, you won't be dissapointed!!!

1  Thank Teeppeltje
Reviewed September 9, 2013

surprised how good this was for lunch, went early, so had good service. 'simple' soup and sandwich - but was very impressed with how good it was. a little pricy, but i thought the value was good. i'd highly recommend it, especially for a biz lunch.

1  Thank TallSH