“Nice change of breakfast pace”
Review of Victor's 1959 Cafe

Victor's 1959 Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Victor's 1959 Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 1,836 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: West 38th Street
Transit: We are on the corner of West 38th Street and Grand Ave South in Minneapolis. Both streets are major bus lines.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My fiance and I went here on a last-minute whim this weekend. It was nice, I'm glad I finally got there. We were lucky enough to get patio seating. I actually didn't like the inside. It was very cramped, small, felt unclean. I know their quirky interior appeals to many customers, but it turned me off. Esp the tiny unisex bathroom.

I ordered the Cuban hash/2 eggs over easy - it was ok. The hash was an exotic version of lunchroom sloppy joes and salty. However, I ate it with the corn pancake we shared and that fixed everything. It was a dense sweet cake that worked better with my dish than the toritillas. It sopped up the gravy well and offset the saltiness, blandness of the hash. My fiancee got the Basque scrambler and it was amazing with the tortillas. I would highly recommend that.

The coffee was great and the service was excellent. While our wait wasn't too long for a table, it probably took 40 minutes for us to get our food. Granted it was Sunday breakfast rush hour, but in my opinion that's too long to wait. Also, our bill was expensive. I think for everything listed, plus a side of bacon and 2 pots of tea, it came to $40 w/ tip. Ouch. I was surprised to get charged to for 2 teas... come on, it's a tea bag and we didn't like the first tea. Am I being too picky about the bill?

While I enjoyed our visit, I don't know if I'd return or recommend it. Like I said, it's very appealing to many patrons, so I'd have to say give it a try yourself. I liked it, but the quirks make me hesitant to return.

Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Found this place by accident. It is now my favorite place to eat. Lovely staff with a great patio. Always crowded and full of energy. The food is simply divine. Better than most Cuban food that I use to eat in Miami.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Owned by an actual Cuban, this restaurant has no pretense: it's small and crowded, which only adds to the charm. Every single food item is incredible, you can write on the walls, and its all AUTHENTIC!!!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We heard if this place from Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. We got here fairly early an a Friday night, about 6. We were lucky to have gotten their last table. They take reservations so you may want to have them on the weekend. Our server was very cheery and helpful. We had an appetizer sampler and both the empanadas and fritters were great, the plantains were a bit bland. We shared a great pork entree. A great place for a casual and unique meal!

1  Thank TheVanNordens
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is one of the best breakfast places in Minneapolis and they have both American-style and Cuban-inspired dishes. The prices are very reasonable and the atmosphere is great. It's a little crowded though, so I wouldn't go with more than 3-4 people. Also, as with most breakfast places, go early if you don't want to wait for a table.

1  Thank Abbasmurf