“Snotty server”
Review of Victor's 1959 Cafe

Victor's 1959 Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Victor's 1959 Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 1,823 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: West 38th Street
Transit: We are on the corner of West 38th Street and Grand Ave South in Minneapolis. Both streets are major bus lines.
Reviewed August 6, 2012

The decor is cute and fun. Some of the dishes were better than others. I didn't care for the ham croquetas at all (very mushy texture) and my Lechon Asada was on the dry side. The yuca frita and rice were pretty good. All of this would have earned the restaurant 4 stars if it wasn't for the snotty service. We called the same day to make a reservation and were told they couldn't accommodate us at 6:30. Fine, we can come at 6. When we left at 6:45 there were only 2 other tables there. OK, maybe there were several 7 pm reservations. The server was not friendly and was bordering on outright rude. The food wasn't outstanding enough to make up for subpar service.

2  Thank SherriandBrandon
There are newer reviews for Victor's 1959 Cafe

Reviewed August 5, 2012

My husband and I went to this restaurant last night with some friends. I had been here before on my last trip to Minneapolis several months back. I was not disappointed again. The food was consistent from the two visits. Really enjoyed the Empanadas, yuca and fritas as the appetizer. I can't remember what my meal was called but I will say it was delish! My husband also really loved his meal. For desert I had the cheescake. Wow! It melted in my mouth and sent my taste buds to heaven. I must also recommend the Champagne Mojito. How interesting!!
The decor was neat. I like reading all the messages on the wall left by previous customers. The service was excellent. We were seated right away as per our reservation. The wiatress was very attentive and enjoyable.
Only thing missing was authentic Cuban beer but that can't be helped given its illegal.
A must try when in Minneapolis.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

While I'd seen the episode on Food Network's "Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives" about this place, I'd forgotten about it until a recent visit to the city. It was a pleasant surprise. The decor is very interesting with 50's style oilcloth on the tables and all of the walls (and ceiling!) covered with comments from customers. They had a nice seating area outside as well. They specialize in cuban dishes and I had the cuban sandwich. Good, but a little dry - could have used more dressing. Still, I'd try it again next time I'm in town.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

What a great little place! Breakfast was so tasty and fresh in a fun, bright, colorful atmosphere. Service was excellent! I look forward to returning and trying out dinner.

Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Love, love, love this place!!! Make sure to get the plantains, yucca and Cuban toast. It is very small, very worth the wait.