“True Thai for a Thai hot fix”
Review of True Thai - CLOSED

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We have been looking for a King and I replacement for a few months now and decided to go to True Thai with extended family for a Saturday night dinner. We called ahead to let them know we were coming and expected to arrive within 15 minutes, they were very accomodating and we only had to wait a few minutes for our table to be ready. The server was busy but nice and took a bit to get our drink orders and she took our appetizer orders soon after. We all ordered the same beer Singha and none of the beers came with a glass or were in cold bottles expect mine, lucky me! So when we were ready to order our next round the server checked and said they didn't have any more cold Singha's, so we had to order something different. Odd that a Thai place can't keep thai beer cold... We had our appetizers come shortly after ordering, they were ok, nothing awesome. One of the appetizers didn't arrive and we had to remind the server that it was ordered. I ordered the special appetizer of ham and shrimp, which was a let down. The sauce was flavorless and the appetizer was your standard deep fried fare. I heard the cream cheese wontons were good, but did not try them. When dinner came, we each had our own entree's but no rice was served. We waited until the server came back and asked for some. Most of us ordered the dishes the Thai hot level of spiciness and were happy with that. I had the Weeping Warrior which is stirfried pork with peppers. It could of used more pork and less peppers, but was good and spicy and had good flavor. My husband ordered beef with peppercorns and he really liked it. He brought home leftovers and was happy to eat them the next day. We all agreed it was not our favorite Thai place, but not bad either. No major flaws, but not a 4 or 5 star experience.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The food was great. The only drawback was the parking, on street, puddles, ice and snowbanks. We had the drunken noodles which was very tasty, the mango salad which was delicious. The appetizers were out of this world, this could be made into a meal in itself. Vegeterian spring rolls and the wontons were excellent. The prices are good, portions were more than enough. We ended up taking half of the main entrees home with us. Excellent service.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We took our college daughter & her roommate for dinner. We had pad Thai, fried rice, curry, sweet & sour. My medium spicy food was a bit spicier than I expected, but still good. The person who ordered fried rice asked for mild spice & when it arrived he found it to be very spicy hot. Our server didn't hesitate to offer to take it back for re-do, & the 2nd plate was perfect. Our water glasses were refilled often, before we could ask. Ultimately, we all really liked our food. The servings were so generous in size that we took enough home for at least one more meal for each of us. Authentic feeling atmosphere.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

i heard so much about this place I was excited to try it out with a few friends from Atlanta. We reserved a table at 7pm, showed up and was seated promptly. We ordered a bottle of wine but they were out, so we had to go with whatever they had. We order 2 appetizers, pad see ew, curry and seafood combo. The pad see ew was small portion, mostly vegetables and barely any noodles. The curry was good and portion was reasonable. The seafood combo had 2 shrimps and some crab stick, hardly any vegetables but green pepper. For $100 dinner we barely had enough food for 3 persons and the food was not as good as Amazing Thailand in uptown. I do not recommend this place as I completely disgrace MN in front of my GA friends! Never going again.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I finally revisited the place we had our first date (3.5 years ago!), and we agree: This place is a keeper. We enjoyed the quiet booth we sat in, and noticed that the ambiance has improved vastly since our previous visit. It was busy on the Saturday evening we went, and, although we didn't have a reservation, we still got a table within 15 minutes. I would recommend making a reservation if your party is large (more than 4) or you are on a tight schedule.

Service was friendly and attentive, despite it being a busy evening. There was separate staff to keep water glasses full and tables cleared.

We had spring rolls for an appetizer, and each ordered an entree. I loved the green curry, and my husband enjoyed the stirfry with baby corn and pea pods. Portions were generous, and we both took home leftovers. We'll definitely be back to support this great neighborhood restaurant where we found great food and true love.