“Great food and service”

The Oceanaire Seafood Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oceanaire Seafood Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 1,835 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: City Bus Line/ Cab stand located at front of Hyatt Regency.
Description: As sleek as a 1930s ocean liner, yet as relaxed as a dinner on the shore, the Oceanaire provides the perfect setting to enjoy Ultra-Fresh seafood, flown in daily from around the world. Sip a Sidecar in the lounge, sidle up to the oyster bar, or kick back in a horseshoe booth before diving into a sea of Ultra-Fresh fish, including Alaskan halibut, seasonal favorites like fresh Copper River salmon or hard-to-find delicacies like true Dover sole. Our daily-printed menu will guide you, a wine list as deep as the sea will seduce you, and the world's freshest seafood awaits you at the Oceanaire.
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Oceanaire is located on the corner of South Six Street and Nicollet Avenue on the ground floor of the nice Fifty South Sixth, 29 story office tower. You can park in the Fifty South Sixth parking ramp or use the restaurants valet service. Oceanaire is a small restaurant chain with 12 locations in some of the bigger cities in the US. I went there at 7 PM on a Friday night with my wife and younger daughter and had a great dinner. The place was very crowded so I am glad we had a reservation. Although the place got very load, I thought the atmosphere and modern décor were nice. The place is trendy and does not have the stuffy feeling like an old school steak house. The restaurant also has a bar area with lots of iced seafood sitting near the front of the bar (to tempt you as you are walking to your table).

Our server was excellent and knew everything about the menu. He was very friendly and easy to talk to (he was one of the better servers I have had in a long time). After he answered our menu questions my daughter ordered the 10 ounce filet, my wife ordered the center cut filet with shrimp and I had the seared Yellowfin Tuna. I also ordered 6 Wellfleet Oysters for myself (the rest of the family would not touch them). We also shared a side of sour cream mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus with hollandaise sauce. For desert we shared a piece of key lime pie and a piece of banana cream pie.

I thought al the food tasted great and really enjoyed the oysters, tuna and the side of mashed potatoes. My wife and daughter also liked their dinners (they had no complaints). I really did not like the pickled ginger that came with my tuna but that was just a side on my plate. I am sure they cooked it correctly I just did not care for it. The chef did a great job with the food presentation (especially my wife’s food) as it looked great when they brought it out. The deserts are huge so do not order one for yourself (especially after a big meal). The free bread they bring out was also very good.

Oceanaire is my new favorite seafood restaurant in the Twin Cities and I’ll definitely be back.

1  Thank rockyjoe

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Service here was impeccable thru the entire experience...only a few moments of preparation let us down.

First it was birthday being celebrated, and they made every acknowledgement of that occasion - even going to so far as to bringing out complimentary Baked Alaska for dessert. The waiter was extremely attentive and helpful. The only problems were in the entree fish; slight overcooking on the corvina and I must have found 30 bones in my bronzini before I finally just gave up trying to eat it. That being said, both dishes would have been very good without these oversights.

Must Have
---------------
+ Belon Flats Oysters -- a unique offering which I haven't witnessed before, even in travel.

Very Good
+ Blue Point Oysters
+ Vesper cocktail
+ Sidecar cocktail
+ (complimentary) crudité
+ Roasted Bronzini (if it would have had no bones)
+ Pan-roasted Corniva (if it were slightly less cooked)
+ Baked Alaska

Good
--------
+ (complimentary) bread & butter
+ Sour Cream mashed potatoes

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Elizabeth got the Perfect Bacardi Mojito, Sam got the Ginger Royal, and I chose the Oceanaire Mojito Martini (each $5). Both Liz and I thought our "mojito" style drinks were good (-and strong!) but a little on the sweet side for our tastes. Sam's Ginger Royal (Crown Royal, sour mix, and Ginger Beer) was delicious and refreshing, perfectly gingery.

For food, appetizers on the happy hour menu range from $5 - $8 and the portions were generous. We ended up choosing the Fish and Chips ($5, left), the Steamed Mussels ($6, middle), and the Ahi Tuna Bites ($8, right)

You can read all about the full happy hour experience over here on the Minneapolites blog!:

But here's the quick rundown for you!

Both the patio and the inside dining room exude a great cosmopolitan atmosphere, although the traffic along 6th street is a bit loud -but what else do you expect when dining outside and downtown?

Quick and friendly service, very attentive to filling our glasses and removing empty dishes.

Presentation
Our drinks and food came in attractive glasses and serving dishes, with garnishes of lemons, limes, and parsley where appropriate.

Taste
We loved almost everything!

Value for Dollars
For $17 apiece before tip, we each got two delicious drinks and our fill of well-made, generously-portioned, and reasonably-priced apps. For downtown on a Friday night, we felt like we got a steal of a deal.

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

My family and I went to Oceanaire for Easter Brunch and I am so glad we went! This was the second time I have been to this restaurant and I had forgotten till then how very good their seafood is, especially the oysters! We ordered a combination of different oysters from both the fact and west coast, like Oak Island, Pickering Passage, and Rocky Point. We also has the New England Clam Chowder (which is one of the best I've had ever!) and Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail. For our entrees, we had the Mahi Mahi, the Australian Barramundi, and Fried Fish. I highly recommend the Barramundi if you are looking for a medium flaky but a little sweeter fish. The one I had was absolutely fantastic. For dessert, we shared a Banana Cream Pie - heavenly! This is enough for at least 2 people to share. The service was just great! Tony, our maitre d', was very helpful in answering our questions and made over good suggestions for wine pairings. All in all this restaurant is definitely a place well-worth going to if you're a seafood lover and during a special occasion!

1  Thank TravelGal9876
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I dined here solo in March of 2013

The Oceanaire Seafood Room in Minneapolis is fantastic. The room feels like a throwback to the old supper clubs, white jacketed waiters, high ceilings, great lighting, long bar with tall liquor shelves behind it, it's just cool.

The ambiance is great, but the fish is even better.

On this visit I had oysters as a starter, the selection changes often, I had some blue points and some kumomotos, as well as a chef's choice, they were wellfleets and were very good, with a nice briny taste of the sea.

For the main I had the whole grilled branzino, it was cooked perfectly, deboned at the table and was excellent. It came with an accompanying Mediterranean salad that was a perfect match to the fish, light and savory, with some citrus pieces and pine nuts, and a little feta.

I didn't have desert, although they looked great. Their wine list is full of interesting options, and they have over 20 wines by the glass, perfect if you are dining solo as I was. Vast selection of top shelf spirits and whiskeys, and the service was attentive and friendly.

The only thing that was not perfect is that is an incredibly small restroom for a restaurant this size, and it was awkwardly crowded. For example, I had to move away from the sink while washing my hands so that another patron could open the door. Not a huge issue, but was so weird and out of step with the rest of the experience, I feel compelled to mention it. Doesn't impact my grade, but if management reads this....please, build a bigger mens room next time for goodness sake.

Also, bill with tip, for two glasses of wine, 6 oysters, and one fish entree and one espresso....$120.00--not the place to implement your austerity plan...