“Great Evening in the City”

Dakota Jazz Club & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Dakota Jazz Club & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 1,794 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 10th Street
Description: Entering its third decade, the Dakota has long been a favorite of jazz legends as well as patrons who savor the best of both art forms, the virtuosity of kitchen and bandstand. You can eat in the dining room and enjoy music second-hand from the adjacent club room; but you can also enjoy the music in the intimate club while making selections from either the bar or dining room menu—the best of both worlds. Patrons must note that online reservations through OpenTable apply to the dining room only. For show information and club reservations please call.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great Evening in the City”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had a group of 12 who needed an excellent meal after an intense highly concentrated long day of work. The Dakota was perfect. The waiter was beyond excellent with a large group as well as extremely knowledgeable about the food and drink offerings. We were able to eat and talk and proceed at a relaxed pace. They provided us with a table in a separate room and were very attentive. The appetizers were some of the best I've ever had. The presentation of all the plates was artist and unique. The tastes were rated from very good to excellent by all of us. And then to make the evening pretty close to perfect the live music began. We were all enthralled! Excellent, excellent evening.

• Visited September 2013

• Turkish first
Minneapolis
“What's Not to Like”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Dinner and a show at the Dakota....First and foremost, our waiter, Sam, exemplified what service is all about. He was warm and attentive without being overbearing. He was honest and informed about the menu. Good service makes your food taste better!
That being said, I would have ordered almost anything on the menu. It all looked interesting. We decided to share a Duck confit salad and it was a delicious. Tender juicy shredded duck leg, croutons to die for, gigonda beans and a soft boiled egg added additional flavor and textures.. If one were to order it without sharing it would serve as a small meal along with a baguette. Note that bread does not appear without being order. One can order a half a loaf or a full loaf. We ordered a half and it was about 8 pieces, served warm.
Then I ordered a small plate of pork belly with fried green tomatoes served with an herbed creme fraiche. Yum, double yum. Again, perfectly cooked and presented. I wanted more, more, more. My husband is a big pate fan, so he ordered the country pork pate with creme fraiche glaze, served with half an English muffin, mustard & pickle.
We shared a large (1/2 a head) iceberg lettuce salad with a bacon, bleu cheese, blueberry dressing. My only complaint was that it was a little short on the dressing.
On the wine by the glass menu, there are many very reasonable choices.
We only have gone to the Dakota in the past for the music. Now we know, we can go anytime for dinner and won’t be disappointed.
One caveat and that's why the four star. The person who took my reservation for the show was decidedly abrupt and unfriendly. I still wasn't sure what I had when I hung up. This is very untypical of Minnesota.

• Visited September 2013
Wichita, Kansas
“Amazing food and entertainment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

My initial impression was not great. Our booth was a bit crowded and sticky. Looking at the menu, I had low expectations. The food sounded a bit mundane with a few key words thrown in to be trendy (e.g., flat iron steak). Wow, did our impression change with the arrival of the food. I frequently eat at 4 and 5 star restaurants and the food served to us was definitely among the best. Kudos to the chefs. Trace Bundy then played and the acoustics of the Dakota Club were excellent. This venue alone is worth a long trip to Minneapolis.

• Visited August 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Usually, we love it; this time, the experience was awful.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I go to the Dakota often, as a couple and with friends. This time, we decided to take in the Marcia Ball show before going elsewhere for an anniversary dinner. The music was great and the atmosphere comfortable and pleasant, as always. The service was terrible. We sat upstairs and ordered drinks and an appetizer. The waiter spilled my drink on serving it and not only did not apologize, he didn't wipe it up or even offer a cocktail napkin. I had to attempt to flag down wait staff repeatedly finally to get a napkin. The method of attracting a server (put the coaster green side up if you want attention) didn't work; either it was too dark upstairs for the servers to tell which side was up, or they were all ignoring it. We had to remind the waiter about the appetizer, again after attempting numerous times to get his attention. It was finally served with no plates; my husband had to go find some on an empty table (if we had waited for the wait staff to get some, the appetizer would have been cold). It went on like that. Of course, the bad service distracted our attention from the music. When we left, I complained to the manager (something I rarely do), and he gave us his card and said we'd be treated better next time--not a very satisfactory response. I imagine we'll return to the Dakota; maybe it was just a bad night. But our bad experience has dampened our enthusiasm, and our eagerness to take out-of-town visitors to the Leon Russell show evaporated. We went elsewhere.

• Visited August 2013
Canada
“What a great evening!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We loved everything about the Dakota. We started by splitting an order of chickpea cakes, which were really yummy. For my main course, I ordered the halibut which was a real standout - absolutely perfect flavours! My husband was equally happy with the oyster mushroom pappardelle. And don't miss the fabulous cherry crisp for dessert! The evening of music was delightful, and I only wish I lived closer so I could go here more often.

• Visited July 2013