“Great food, but no ambience!”
Review of Sapor Cafe and Bar - CLOSED

Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The selection is limited, but yummy! The service was outstanding and drinks were great. They need more pictures to catch the eye and sprout discussions though...boring ambience.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

But we had just an OK experience. Had an 8 pm reservation, and were greeted warmly when we arrived. Got a great table up against the windows at the front of the restaurant, and I liked how cozy and inviting the space is. We ordered drinks and the tempura green beans to start - the beans were good, but the dipping sauce wasn't great. After seeing the Doro Wot and Thai Shrimp entrées get delivered to the table next to us, we were all set to order. However, they were out of the Injera bread and didn't recommend a substitute, so M ordered the carne asada tacos and I ordered the shrimp. The tacos were good, but the steak was definitely done more rare than medium and M wasn't asked if he had a temperature preference when he ordered. The beautiful jumbo shrimp I saw on another order of the Thai Shrimp weren't what got delivered on my plate; my entrée was just OK. The service was very nice, but if we go back, we'd get there earlier to ensure we get our choice of entrées.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We love Sapor, especially the variety of vegetarian options. The artisanal g&t that I had was wonderful, the pork banh mi was yummy, my veggie spouse enjoyed the grilled caprese pizza very much. And the coconut creme banana brulee tart was as tasty as it was beautiful. We always come really early, as soon as they open, to avoid the later crowds.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Less than a block from our hotel in the warehouse district, we tried Sapor after a local resident recommended it. Good service & fun food. As a Carolina native, I know NC BBQ. Rarely do you find it authentically prepared outside the state. But, much to my surprise, Sapor did it! Also very much enjoyed the fish tacos and Ethiopian lamb. Very eclectic; very good!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Sapor was very flexible with our party when we wanted to make a reservation- enabling us to sit in the bar area or even order from the bar menu in the restaurant. We got a table right near the window, which was great. The atmosphere in the restaurant is warm and inviting. Nice wood floors, high ceilings, and warehouse vibe.

It's great that Sapor has a parking lot with complimentary parking in the evening- which is rare in the downtown Mpls area.

They have a good happy hour which lasts until 7pm (much better than many places whose happy hours end at 6). Our party ordered beet pizza from the HH menu (good pizza), the kung pao fries with black bean chili sauce was good as well as the classic and pancetta burgers. One in our party ordered the chicken and waffles, which was an advertised special; we also heard that a nearby party came specifically for this dish. The chicken didn't seemed to compliment the waffles even with the accompanying sauce, and the person who ordered it said that he didn't particularly care for it.

Overall, it was a good experience. The wait staff was friendly and provided good service. They had good coffee- and even good decaf coffee. I have been here a number of times and will certainly plan to return.