“Outstanding”
Review of Restaurant Alma

Restaurant Alma
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Alma is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 1,836 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Neighborhood: University / Dinkytown
Cross street: 6th Avenue SE
Transit: #6 Metro Transit Bus
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I had heard about this place from a co-worker who knew the chef. I took a friend there as a token of gratitude for taking care of me following surgery. All I can say it the meal was superb, as was the dessert. The prices were a bit over my budget but it was a special occasion and was well worth it.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

I won't write an essay about the food because others have summed it up perfectly--it is absolutely excellent. Parking across the street is NOT an inconvenience; it probably is a shorter walk than some restaurant lots. However, my biggest gripe was the customer service. I called days ahead to make a reservation. It was understood by the person who took the reservation that we would like a nice table and that we were celebrating my daughter's birthday. After our lovely meal, the waitress came up the stairs holding a birthday treat, candle and all, and walked right by our table and placed the dessert in front of the lady behind my daughter. I don't doubt that it could have been her birthday, too, but when I questioned the manager about our 'treat', she said that we didn't tell them that it was a birthday and that we didn't BUY a dessert so we wouldn't get one even if it had been correctly indicated it in the reservation book. I'm not sure why the event wasn't noted and it would have been nice if the celebration policy details had been explained when I made the reservation. Granted, I will admit that I assumed when I shouldn't have, but where we live, celebration desserts, or at least a plate of whipped cream with a candle on top, are most often complimentary. A top-notch restaurant would have remedied the situation by bringing a small dessert instead of giving a lame excuse. I'm sure a scoop of ice cream wouldn't have hurt the bottom line. Was it a disappointment? Yes. It was my daughter's first birthday celebration without her Dad who recently passed away. So, Ms. Manager, you never know what's going on in the life of someone else, and quick thinking on your part, perhaps even breaking the rules, would have made the difference between a fantastic experience and a negative one.

1  Thank undercoverone
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We have been to Restaurant Alma many times and have never been disappointed in the food, wine and beer. Restaurant Alma does not have a full bar. Each ingredient in each course is unique and as a result stands out. We enjoy that the dishes are farm to table. Restaurant Alma does not disappoint.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Amazing restaurant with sort of an indie vibe. It's not so fancy that it's pretentious. Instead it's somewhat cozy, hip and urban. The food is out of this world. It is artistically presented and creatively crafted with a perfect blending of colors and flavors. The three course tasting menu is your best option for trying ample portions of delectable delights. I ordered the rabbit salad (my first experience with rabbit) and LOVED it as did my 14 year old daughter!! My second course included the Turmeric Roasted Halibut, another impressive palate pleaser. For the third and final course (I didn't want it to end), I ordered the Flat Iron Steak. This was great, but a little too pink (raw) for my taste. So, unless you like rare meat, be sure to request that this dish be cooked to your liking! The desserts- well, they were indescribably amazing! I am still dreaming of my chocolate mousse! Another member of my party ordered the coconut mango layer cake... Wow, this too was delicious (and I am not even a fan of coconut!). The cake was so moist that it melted in your mouth!

My only complaint about this restaurant was the parking- there was none! The adjacent lot was only for the tenants of a nearby apartment. Valet was only available on Friday and Saturday nights (we dined at this restaurant on a Thursday). In addition to the dismal parking, the restaurant was also extremely warm inside (and this is coming from me... A person who is always cold!). There was evidently no air conditioning and only one small fan in the corner that did not adequately cool the air especially as the restaurant became more filled with patrons.

1  Thank PixieMama
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I dropped in for dinner recently on a whim and ended up seated at the bar next to Head Chef/Owner Alex Roberts. In addition to having one of the best meals in a long time, it was great to hear the personal story behind Alex's building of his restaurant business in Minneapolis. Alex is is clearly committed to his staff, his community and great food. I thoroughly enjoyed all three courses in the prix fix menu - really loved the take on monkfish which isn't easy to do. I also paired up the wines which was the right call. I will certainly go back again and again commend Chef Roberts for what he's doing in the Minneapolis/SP area!