“Al's Breakfast is great!”
Review of Al's Breakfast

Al's Breakfast
Ranked #94 of 1,820 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: University / Dinkytown
Minnesota
“Al's Breakfast is great!”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife and I asked our college age daughter where to have breakfast after we dropped off supplies this morning. She told us about Al's and we were on our way. Finding it was easy. We had to wait for seats, which meant we got to stand behind the 14 people who were eating. The staff was friendly, and got us seated as soon as two spots opened up. My wife had pancakes, I had an omelet, and we both thought the food was really good. If you find yourself around the University of Minnesota at breakfast time, Al's is a great choice.

• Visited October 2013

Minnesota
“Al's is A-1!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I had heard about this place and I finally got an opportunity to check it out for myself. Well, not much to it. I was fortunate in that there was a stool open at the counter. There are only 14 of them and if you miss out, you have to stand behind someone until they are done eating. Anyway, the place is kinda quirky and probably not ready for the white glove inspection but heck, that's part of the fun. One of the regulars schooled me a bit on what the most popular things were to order and I ended up ordering the 'Jose', which are two poached eggs on top of homemade hashbrowns with cheese sauce and a stealthy, hot salsa. It also came with toast. I thought it was very good and the price was reasonable. The guy next to me also said the pancakes were very good and recommended the blackberry/walnut but he said, you have to have one or the other (eggs or pancakes) because you won't be able to eat both and he was right. I am glad I stopped and would suggest you give it a try if possible. Sounds like the weekends make for a long wait. I was there around 8 on a monday morning and it worked out great!

Minneapolis
“Never Again”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Dirty. Horrific music for an 8 am Monday breakfast. Fry cook screaming at top volume. Staff bickering. Worst coffee ever. Just awful. Our first and last visit. Whatever happened to a cozy breakfast in an inviting, friendly environment? The only good thing I can say is my eggs were hot and not overcooked.

dizcostu007
“Amazing breakfast”
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

The breakfast here is fantastic. Had scrambled eggs, sausage and hash browns. Very tasty. Also really liked the unique atmosphere of the place. One of the best breakfasts I've had.

Los Angeles, California
“Must Eat Breakfast!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was a little scared of this place, having seen it on the Food Network, I was led to believe that there would be a line out the door, and some embarrassing standing around that you'd have to do before being seated. Nothing of the sort. I came in immediately, had to walk to the end of the wall because there wasn't a seat. Okay, seems like what I should have expected, but I didn't feel so bad. I took a great picture of the interior of this little place, then was almost immediately seated right next to the owner/grill-master who chatted my ear off and gave me great advice about seeing the Local Minnehaha falls. I had a walnut/blueberry whole wheat pancake and a perfect poached egg, with the stuff that come with, and I walked away thinking, "this was one of the best things I've done here." Do it. It's great. It's very cheap, very good, more healthy than not, and a site of fame. Might as well enjoy yourself, right? Save some money while doing so? I recommend Al's, even though the guy who owns it isn't named Al. Go figure. :-)

• Visited July 2013