“Jucy”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Awesome!! A must to have! the Jucy Lucy with fried onion on top! Make sure you set it off to the side to cool just a little before sinking your teeth into the molten hot cheese which is cooked between the burger!! So good!! Enjoy and bring cash because it is cash only.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Thanks Trip Advisor for sending us to Matt's the home of the original Jucy Lucy. I am so glad i visited and had the opportunity to sample this burger, with melted cheese on the inside. It is a tradition and one worth keeping. The french fries were remarkable -- a large portion will be enough for the table and a half size is enough for 3-4 people. The Jucy Lucy came with pickles and onions -- nothing else. Honestly, i have eaten lots of burgers that I consider better -- but this is the place that started it all with the Jucy Lucy and we should all pay homage to Matt's for continuing to serve it up.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Worth the line. We went to Matt's in December when it was 2 degrees outside. There was a line out the front door. We heard that it was worth waiting for (we're from Milwaukee) and it was! Corner bar atmosphere. Old school in every way....

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I'm trying to weave some excitement into my business trips swinging by local dive bar legends for a taste of the local scene. Tonight I went for the Jucy Lucy experience (their spelling). Well, eh.

Matt's Bar is everything you could ask from a local dive. It's dated, dark and absolutely full of locals, tourists and atmosphere. It's got the somewhat surly bar lady and quiet grill guy behind the bar, and the mildly frantic waitress out front directing traffic. Nice people - don't get me wrong. Right out of central casting.

My order was estimated at 25 minutes, which was just right for having a cold draft at the bar. I noticed the staff warms up for the locals, and I can appreciate they don't so much for the tourists like me.

The Jucy Lucy's are all lined up on the grill, but frankly the wait wasn't necessary. The grill is small but there was always a lot of empty space. I'm thinking the wait is just a part of the show and maybe helps sell beer.

At the appointed time, my ordered was served up. I skipped the fries based on other reviews, and focused on my burger. The Jucy Lucy is truly remarkable for the molten (processed) cheese and grease that does nearly explode on the first bite. Absolutely let the burger sit for a bit so you don't burn your mouth - the need for the warnings is not exaggerated. But the rest is unremarkable. The meat is grilled beyond taste, it's not particularly well seasoned, and the bun is a basic food service bulk bakery item. In fairness the finely chopped onions were grilled nicely in the burger grease and added some needed zing to the burger.

I'm glad I went to try it out, but can't say it's worth a return trip. There are a lot of other nearby places from Triple D that draw more of my interest for next time. I truly apologize to any locals offended by my review. I'm sure you enjoy your iconic experience more than I did and I mean no disrespect. I just hoped for a better burger to go along with my quintessential dive bar experience.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I heard this was the place to go for Juicy Lucy's? Me and a buddy went over and tried it out. It was OK, nothing to go back for. There was on street parking only, it was definitely a local favorite cause it was packed. Waited for about 35 minute for our burgers and then had to wait for it to cool so we didn't get burned. The burger was hard and black charred on both sides. Not the way I would eat it. The waitress was great and brought us plenty of drinks. The prices were good.