“Old School Americanized Chinese Food”

Shuang Cheng Restaurant
Ranked #395 of 1,853 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: University / Dinkytown
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I have been eating here with various family members, friends, and ladies since I matriculated at the U in the early 90s. Even though I moved away 15 years ago, I always have to visit this joint every time I return.

While I prefer the real Chinese foodizzle that is written on the wall, sometimes I kick it old school with the Americanized stuff on the menu like the chow fun and the orange peel cow.

And man- those egg rolls are still my favorite on Earth.

Reviewed December 18, 2011

We dine at Shuang regularly. Last night we took a party of nine there and the entire bill was $136 including wine and beer. The food was excellent as always. We arrived at 5:00 and lucky we did because by 6:00 the place was packed. Service was slow and the waitress inattentive but this was not our typical experience. The place is not fancy but we are not going for the ambiance but the food.

Reviewed August 22, 2011

The food here is the real deal as far as Chinese food and Chinese seafood. This place will do all the Americanized Chinese food but they also offer authentic Chinese food. The whole fish dishes are excellent as are the dumplings and the clay pot dishes. Look for the section of the menu mainly meant for the Chinese community and students from Asian. That is where you will find the real Shuang Cheng (means Twin Cities in Chinese). They also have very cheap lunches. Some of the lunch items are just something over rice, a very popular China tradition. There is no ambiance here, just authentic Chinese food. That too is sort of an ambiance, if you seek real Chinese food.

Reviewed January 13, 2011

Shuang Cheng has been a destination for Chinese Seafood for almost 20 years. When you enter, notice how well populated it is with Asian customers. That's a good sign. The service is friendly. The menu is large, but direct your attention to the white-board where today's specials are listed. I suggest bringing a group of 4 or more and sharing food. Get a steamed or fried fish. Try the mussels with szetchuan sauce (not on the board but ask for it), order the spicy eggplant for vegetarians and maybe the duck and mustard green soup. It's hard to spend more than $15 per person. It's as close to Hong Kong as you can get without leaving Minneapolis.

Reviewed August 25, 2010

Neat location to walk around and great food.. the place is always busy and wait staff attentive.