“Local and excellent”

Prima Italian Restaurant
Ranked #119 of 1,793 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
“Local and excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

For over 10 years Prima continues a tradition of providing interesting and tasteful dishes at affordable prices. The service is always good provided by long term and professional staff. They get to know you which is a strong plus. Southwest Minneapolis has a number of strong, locally owned restaurants to choose from and Prima is one of the best.

Visited April 2013

Minneapolis
“Prima is delightful, delicious, locally owned and affordable!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I lived in Italy for 6 months and I must say that the food I have had here rivals some of my favorite dishes at the local trattoria's in Italy. The service is always fantastic, the menu is always changing to add new seasonal and local dishes and the food is so good. The best part in this economy is that two people can get a glass of wine, an appetizer, dinner and a dessert for around $60. The portions are plentiful and the experience is wonderful. We will be back time and time again!

Visited August 2012
Fargo, ND
“All positives, no negatives”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Prima is a wonderful little Italian restaurant where four of us dined one Friday night recently. The service was excellent and the atmosphere warm. The menu gave a decent assortment of options, and the wine list was acceptable. The food was terrific, from the appetizer to salads, to all four entrees, and the one dessert we shared. We started with a nice, well-priced Prosecco for the appetizer and salad round, then shifted to a very nice super Tuscan red. I had the Lamb and Roasted Eggplant Meatballs appetizer – excellent. My entrée was Confit of Duck & Buttercup Squash Risotto that was superb. Other dishes at the table, which I tired, were a Fettuccine Puttanesca, Butternut Squash Tortellacci, and Rigatoni Alla Rustica. All were delicious, but I must say that the Butternut Squash Tortellacci, made with caramelized pears, was extraordinary – that alone will bring me back to Prima. I admit that it had some sweetness to it, but it was not a desert sweet. For desert, the pumpkin bread pudding was luscious. I highly recommend this restaurant. I look forward to a return visit.

• Visited February 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Family Favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Everything about this restaurant is remarkable. The food is great, the service is excellent and the atmosphere is Italian.

My wife, daughter and I first came here because our favorite Italian restaurant wanted us to wait almost an hour to be seated. We arrived here instead and now Prima is our favorite Italian restaurant.

Their salmon dinner is the best in the Twin Cities, in fact, everything we've tried is delicious and a good choice. The appetizers are varied and are as delicious as the entrees. I especially like their roasted garlic and gorgonzola cheese, served with toasted bread.

I should tell you that my daughter is the pickiest eater in the Midwest. She loves to dine at Prima!

• Visited February 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Walleye to die for at an Italian Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

Went back to Prima for a lovely gathering. The wait service was EXCELLENT. I watched the hostess check our glasses behind the bar before she brought them over. She recommended great wine and had just tried each of the evenings' specialties. One of them was a walleye, pan seared over risotto. First of all, it was a great sized fillet, not thin at all. It was seared perfectly! It was the best I had ever tasted, and I hadn't even ordered it! My fried did, but as usual, we all checked out each others choices. My choice was the capellini I with shrimp. It was great, but I wished I had ordered the walleye. Shrimp was not rubbery, pasta done al dente. Great time.

• Visited December 2012