“Walleye to die for at an Italian Restaurant”

Prima Italian Restaurant
Ranked #127 of 1,793 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Walleye to die for at an Italian Restaurant”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Went back to Prima for a lovely gathering. The wait service was EXCELLENT. I watched the hostess check our glasses behind the bar before she brought them over. She recommended great wine and had just tried each of the evenings' specialties. One of them was a walleye, pan seared over risotto. First of all, it was a great sized fillet, not thin at all. It was seared perfectly! It was the best I had ever tasted, and I hadn't even ordered it! My fried did, but as usual, we all checked out each others choices. My choice was the capellini I with shrimp. It was great, but I wished I had ordered the walleye. Shrimp was not rubbery, pasta done al dente. Great time.

• Visited December 2012

Minneapolis, Minnesota, Usa
“Tasty and Consistent”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Prima has become one of our go to restaurants. In a simple strip mall you are transported to some small bistro anywhere they serve tasty Italian food. The dishes are consistent in their quality and the service is friendly and usually efficient. Call in prior to your arrival and get your name on the list to shorten your wait time.

• Visited December 2012
SoDak
“Small jewel”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

On a recent visit to Minneapolis, were looking for an Italian restaurant with no recommendations to rely on, just punched "Italian" in the GPS to see what was nearby. We went to the first place that had an interesting-sounding name but discovered it was carry out only. The next option that wasn't too far away was Prima - a quick look at the menu online and we headed there. It has a small storefront next to a Subway. We were quickly seated on a Saturday night, was moderately busy but filled up. The decor was warm and inviting with table seating, counter seating along the front window and along the open kitchen counter area. They have a wine/beer license only, but a nice selection of wines, domestic and imported beer. We selected a grilled beef skewer appetizer from a variety of appetizer choices - it came with a creamy gorgonzola dip that was warm and wonderful. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his rigatoni alla rustica - he's not easy to please and he was pleased. My grilled chicken risotto was outstanding, perfectly prepared with a nice blend of flavors. Our server thought she had made a mistake on our order so the manager comped a dessert - so many yummy options to choose from. The warm pumpkin bread pudding was to die for. Our server was very helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. They do everything right - we will definitely return on a future visit to Minneapolis.

• Visited November 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good neighborhood spot”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Friendly service . . . Good specials for dinner . . . Surprisingly good wine list, with some real gems. Duck confit and walleye were very nicely done. Certain to return. Several garden fresh menu items!

• Visited October 2012
Minneapolis Mn
“Definitely worth a visit”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Our group of four visited Prima on August 15, 2012 and had a pleasant experience. The location isn't much as it shares a hallway and bathrooms with a Subway sandwich shop, but once inside it is very refined and the décor is modern. It is obviously a popular neighborhood place, and it filled up to almost full after we arrived.
The dishes are displayed creatively, and my beet salad was truly a work of art: a molded circle of salad on a large colored glass plate. I loved it. My wife was less enthusiastic about her roasted pear salad as the dressing was jarringly strong. The green salad the other couple had was perhaps a better choice.
My grilled pork chop lacked pizazz, but it was tender. My wife's beef tenderloin was considerably underdone to her taste. The steelhead trout and linguini with shrimp and chorizo were both nice.
Service was spot on and knowledgeable.
The key lime pie was just as it should be, but the white chocolate tiramisu didn't live up to its menu description.
The best part of the evening was the wine special that is available mid-week. A number of bottles of wine are priced at $20, a serious bargain in today's restaurant world. We had Terras d'el Rei from Portugal and Fleur de Lyeth from Sonoma, both excellent.
Ample parking is located behind the building, and the restaurant has a back entrance off the parking lot. This is a perfect neighborhood place, and worth a visit from other parts of the city.

• Visited August 2012