“Wonderful Local Place”

The Harriet Brasserie
Ranked #162 of 1,835 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Brazilian, Latin, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: New-American restaurant in Linden Hills using French, Brazilian, and Latin-American influences. Hand crafted slow food featuring sustainable ingredients and cooking methods from around the world. We have an extensive beer and wine list featuring wines from small and family-run operations from both the new and old world. Our market entrees are constantly changing and feature the best our farmers and chefs have to offer. Stop on by, we'd love to see you!
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This will be my 3rd attempt to submit my comments for this restaurant. Due to tech. failure I submitted two glowing reviews that did not go through and I don't know why. Now, all I'll say is go there! Service is friendly, knowledgeable, food is just wonderful. We had three brunch items, looking forward to dinner soon. Parking can be a problem in the old trendy neighborhood, but nice for safe walking. Restaurant is located in the old "Fire Barn", circa 1915. My husband used to climb on the fire engines way back when. Now reminders are visable through photos of the old neighborhood. Enjoy!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Visited this restaurant on Friday night and had a great experience. We were first greeted by a very friendly gentleman (don't know if he is the owner or host???) and he seemed so genuinely happy we were there that I knew we would have a nice night. We enjoyed a few glasses of wine before being seated outside (approximate 45 minute wait). We started our evening with the charcuterie and cheese plate which was quite lovely. We moved on to the entrees and I had the duck breat which was also very good. The duck breast was served with artichokes which were tasty, although I would have preferred some sort of the potato or other starch but it was still good. Our foursome also had the salmon and I believe it was also quite good. We ended the night with the Coconut Tres Leches cake and the Chocolate cake...both were rich and heavenly!
I really have only one small complaint and that is with the outdoor tables. Not really suitable for 4 people. The braces for the table come to the edge on 2 sides which meant I and one other person had to sit sideways in order to comfortably eat our meal. Other than that, awesome evening!

Reviewed June 17, 2012

The Harriet Brasserie has just been open a few weeks, but it is going to be a star among neighborhood restaurants in the Twin Cities. When we visited on June 6, 2012, it was still awaiting its liquor license, but other than that, it was running smoothly.
The food will draw people to this location, recently vacated by the very popular Café Twenty-eight. The décor has not changed noticeably, either, and they have kept the historical photos of the Lake Harriet community.
For starters, we tried Charcuterie & Cheese Plate ($14) and Sardines with fried polenta ($7) and enjoyed both. Our mains were the Hill Burger with grass fed beef, cheddar, bacon, sautéed oyster mushrooms & truffle aioli, greens ($12), Halibut with lemon beurre blanc, potato-fennel croquette & wild arugula ($19), and Grilled chicken breast with herbed yogurt, tabouli, golden raisins & wilted greens ($17). All were very good, but the burger stole the show with its complex flavor combination.
Dessert was another pleasant surprise. The "Key Lime Pie" was sweet-tart custard in phyllo leaves, light and delicate ($6). Tres Leches was based on coconut milk, and equally light and refreshing ($5). They shared easily among our group of four. The espresso had a glorious "crema" on top, which separates this espresso from most others in the Twin Cities and a real bargain at $2.
The wine list has several bottles under $30, with a good variety that includes Germany, France, Austria, Spain, Chile, Argentina, Italy, Oregon, and California. We were very happy with a Syrah, Mourvèdre, Grenache blend from Kermit Lynch ($32)
Noise level is high, there being hard surfaces in the single dining room. It is kid friendly, with lots of families coming to eat. Each table had a fresh flower. Service was experienced but perhaps overly chatty.
This place has a great future, even though they are joining the trend of not taking reservations. They are counting on neighborhood walk-in traffic, and it will work.

1  Thank JandJ67