“Great way to spend a day!”
Review of Mill City Museum

and up
Minneapolis Riverwalk Food Tour
Ranked #7 of 227 things to do in Minneapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Built into the ruins of what was once the world's largest flour mill, Mill City Museum is located on the historic Mississippi Riverfront. Here, visitors of all ages learn about the intertwined histories of the flour industry, the river, and the city of Minneapolis.
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

We are from out of town and wanted a museum experience, but wanted to get into downtown Minneapolis as well. This museum was a real treat. The kids found all of the hands on experiences entertaining, the test kitchen and the interactive water displays. Between the film on the Flour Tower Tour and the the Kevin Kling tour, I feel like I was treated to a real history lesson on this fine city! The view from the tower observation deck was amazing! There was a very kindly & informative tour guide at the observation deck who knew the history and had ++ information to share--thank you! The ruins were very cool and we also walked along the stone arch bridge! What a great day!!

2  Thank allie71
Write a ReviewReviews (1,231)

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Will have to return with the grands if we head this way next summer. I learned so much and enjoyed the elevator that went from floor to floor presenting displays of the mill as it once was. The films and other displays were also well conceived.

1  Thank Jane T
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Make sure to pay the small extra charge for the 'elevator ride show', it includes the glasses in skyway/over look!! Museum is really nostalgic for us who grew up in the twin cities. Hands on exhibits for the kids. Fun introduction video narrated by Kevin Kling. A must see museum!

1  Thank StPaulyKat
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We went to visit as a family (grandparents, adult children, 2 grandkids under age 5). Although the large portion of reading all the historical plaques beside display pieces went beyond the interest for little kids' eyes, the museum has enough other areas of interest for them. We went first thing in the morning when it opened and were able to be on the 10:20am Flour Tower "elevator" tour/ride. It helped bring the history alive and was a great way to present information. The view from the observation area was fabulous - the day was warm and mostly sunny. St Anthony Falls was a sight to see from the elevated height as well as the view up the river. The "water" play area and the kitchen (where little ones could play with "dough") are great hands-on experiences. We did, toward the end of our visit, watch the 20 minute film on Minneapolis. Total time at the museum was about 2.5 hours. We also found online coupons for $2 off adult admissions (not applicable for senior rates). We parked in the flat lot right across the street from the museum entrance; it was a pay-your-ticket after you parked and the lot was wide open at 10am; 0-12 hours cost $5 and you put the money in the collection box after you fill out your vehicle info envelope.

1  Thank challengefish
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The ticket price of $11 per adult plus parking was a little steep for the number of exhibits available, but otherwise I thought this was a great museum. I liked the grain elevator tour -- although I was afraid my 20-month-old would be freaked out by it she did just fine. The observation deck at the top was really great too, and we got some good pictures.

My daughter LOVED the Water World exhibit and played there with my husband for 20+ minutes while I watched the film about Minneapolis, which was fun and quirky (although making light of the death of journalist Walter Liggit at the hands of "our mobster" was a low point). There were other activities for kids and a baking lab offering taste tests of brownies and bread. Yummo!

The museum shop was small and crowded, but that was probably just the time of day (you don't have to buy a ticket to get into the store), and we were there on a Saturday. They had a lot of cute stuff. Wish I had more room in my suitcase!

We parked across the street for $4. There were several other things around (Guthrie Theater, Stone Bridge, a farmers' market), but we were hitting lunch and naptime so back to the hotel we went. I think we'll go back to explore more of the Mill City area though.

1  Thank silvermari