“Yes, a museum about flour can be entertaining”
Review of Mill City Museum

and up
Minneapolis Riverwalk Food Tour
Ranked #7 of 213 things to do in Minneapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Built into the ruins of what was once the world's largest flour mill, Mill City Museum is located on the historic Mississippi Riverfront. Here, visitors of all ages learn about the intertwined histories of the flour industry, the river, and the city of Minneapolis.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Yes, a museum about flour can be entertaining”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I normally don't love museums, but my wife's family wanted to check it out. It turns out that this is one of my favorite museums--interesting history of the Minneapolis mill district and the city in general. As someone who likes to bake bread, I enjoyed learning about the differences between all the types of flour. This is a top-notch operation--great displays, friendly staff, beautiful facility, and it's in a nice revitalized part of Minneapolis. Good way to spend a couple hours if you're in the area.

Visited March 2013

26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Great views”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Biked here many times but finally we went to see the museum - it was renovated just few years ago. Great history about the mills and past industry in the area. Amazing views on the river so do not forget a camera.

Visited April 2013
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great museum for kids”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

As an adult I loved the flour tower movie and elevator ride. However if you have kids that are scared of the dark or loud noises be prepared for a scared child. (My poor niece). The rest of the museum is very hands on with water tables for the kids to play on, play food and puzzles. They have a sample of fresh bread and dough for kids to play with. Also their is a great view of the stone arch bridge and St. Anthony Falls.

Visited November 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Going up!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

It was fun! Doesn't take long to visit; we completed it within 2 hours. I visited with a six year old, male child. We did the history video of Minneapolis (takes only 19 minutes), and did the Flour Tower (this was his favorite part). The interactives were a nice diversion. It is quaint, and condensed. I preferred it over the Science Museum because it is small and contained. I never felt like I could possibly lose my child. Plus... didn't feel like I had to spend 4-5 hours there. It was just a nice diversion during the day that kept his attention.

Visited April 2013
Plymouth, Minnesota
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Very interesting.”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I wasn't sure how exciting this museum would be, but a friend in the area encouraged us to all go. Being a food professional, I just thought this was such an interesting museum. Too often, the history of foods, and product development fall by the wayside and are forgotten forever. This museum helps keep the history of General Mills items alive. You can see old product packaging, you learn how some items came about in the first place, you can see old commercials from before you were born. How cool! They go into detail about the explosion that occurred in the facility and how hard the work was a long time ago, in addition to learning about this new White Flour revolution of the time. I had no idea there was a big changeover from Whole Wheat Flour to White Wheat Flour. They delve into the history of Minneapolis also and how that fit into the factory history. I am not from MN, so that provided interesting background. You can even get real food samples, and look out over the city in this tour. :)

Visited November 2012