“Go for the cheaper rooms and you might be satisfied”

Loews Minneapolis Hotel
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Go for the cheaper rooms and you might be satisfied”
Reviewed January 19, 2010

I stayed in an Executive Level Whirlpool Room for $309/night. Having stayed at this hotel many times before, I am quite familiar with the rooms and can say with 100% certainty, that I wasted $160/night. The Executive Level Whirlpool Room is advertised as 450 square feet and the square footage is not listed for the other rooms. This gives the impression that the Executive Level Whirlpool Room is bigger than the other rooms. It is exactly the same size as the cheap rooms. Also, the whirlpool is a (somewhat) large bathtub. And executive level doesn't get you anything other than a high floor. But given that there's no street noise and no good views, a lower floor is equally good. We stayed on the 18th floor in an Executive Level Whirlpool Room for $309/night and our travelmates stayed in the cheapest kind of room on the 7th floor for approx. $130/night and literally the only difference between the two rooms was the (somewhat) big bathtub and the better view of nearby parkinglots. Go for the cheap rooms and you might feel like you got a good deal. Also, the floors in the bedroom and the bathroomwere sticky, which was a big turnoff.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BMR10023

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2010

Beautifully decorated, Super Freindly, Unbelievably Helpful,
Family went down for a Vikings game, The men hit the stadium the ladies stayed back with the young children. He got on the train 1 block from the hotel, 50 cents and 5 minutes later we were there! Our wives shopped in heated skyways, in the minus 30, and the shopping and location was perfect!

Thanks Joel (at the front desk) he is excellent what ever you need give him a call.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed January 3, 2010

I stayed in an Executive King room at the Graves 601 for three weekday nights in June. I was in town for some general sightseeing and a new production at the Guthrie. Everyone on the hotel staff was very friendly and willing to assist with any questions, directions, or other services. I was especially impressed with the efficiency and enthusiasm of the valet and concierge staff, who greeted me warmly coming and going. The hotel lobby and rooms are located in the upper portion of a multistory building directly across from the Target Center (a sports and event area, not a shopping center), but also convenient to much of downtown, including the 112 Eatery, where I had one of the best restaurant meals I have ever had. The décor of the hotel is unique and modern, unlike a typical major chain hotel but equal in quality and service. The room was clean, sleek, and modern, with a view of the roof of the Target Center and the streets and buildings of downtown. While the size of the room was typical, the excellent quality of the bedding, bathroom fixtures, and towels was obvious. The ginsing and macadamia-scented Hermes bath products smelled great (though the bar soap was a notable exception). The five-head shower gave a great massage after a long day of sightseeing. There is even a flat-screen LCD television in the bathroom. However, be careful not to break your finger opening the dresser drawers, which do not have knobs but instead have small holes to pull them open. When looking for the hotel for the first time, note that there is a (minimally-marked) valet driveway for the hotel between Starbucks and the Hard Rock Café on the left side of N 1st Ave (which is one-way). This actually allows guests with cars to load and unload in front of the hotel door away from downtown traffic, but is not easy to notice for the first-time visitor. I did not happen to eat at the restaurant or get room service during my stay, but I did get wine and cheese at the bar once, and everything was fine. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel, especially if your plans involve activities in the downtown Minneapolis area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Intlmale
Minnesota
Reviewed December 26, 2009

This is our second time staying at the Graves. I called about a month in advance to book a specific room. I wanted to stay in the same room we stayed in the previous year which happened to be our wedding night.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the bell hops. They took our vehicle and were friendly. We were a couple hours early for check in. The front desk(female) was very nice and told me that our room was ready. It was exactly the same room that I asked for.

The room was clean and pristine. The bathrooms with the body showers are amazing. Bar none the most comfortable beds in the hotel industry. You get swallowed up by the comfort. Don't forget the views of downtown as well, Wow!!

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is going to spend a night in downtown Minneapolis.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bluelineMinnesota
New York, NY
Reviewed December 17, 2009

This hotel was designed for the hip, super-trendy traveler who wants to feel cool when they tell everyone where they stayed in Minneapolis. It's ultra-modern in design, with a weird check-in system that puts the front desk on the fourth floor and all of the rooms in an entirely separate elevator bank, which you access through the restaurant.

The food here is always good. For dieting travelers, the "healthy breakfast" can't be beat. They have nice, cozy bathrobes, good amenities, and a TV in the bathroom for those who are into that sort of thing.

The things that bug me are:

1) The loudness of the doors. No matter how quietly you try to close the door, it slams. I bring earplugs whenever I stay here.
2) The sub-par "gym". It's essentially an empty hotel room with 6 cardio machines and some weights.

If you can handle the decor and you like to be part of a scene, it's a fine place to stay. If you're looking for a hotel for your parents/grandparents, try The Grand.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank NoSpacesAllowed
Greater Seattle
Reviewed December 11, 2009

My boyfriend surprised me with a 4 day weekend at this beautiful hotel. All of the restaurants the front desk suggested were great. Found some of our own little treasures. We had a corner room which had incredible views. Their bars were so much fun that we started our evenings there. We spent alot of time enjoying this hotel and will be back again. Enjoyed seeing Terrence Howard among others that weekend;-) Thank you Graves!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed December 5, 2009

This hotel is completely over rated, overpriced, and a tad ridiculous! It reminds me of what a 16 year old girl's rendition of what a "cool" hotel would be. The rooms were oddly decorated (bright pink on the walls...pepto bismol) and strange wall art. The front desk staff was rude. The rooms don't even have a coffee maker! When I questioned the staff about this, I was brusquely informed of a Starbucks located just off the lobby. No coffeemaker in the room, but thank goodness, there IS a scale...It is often a challenge to find a place to weigh myself when I am on a trip, so this was a blessing. NOT! Also...we were on the 10th floor...it is a total pain to take the elevator up to the 4th floor bar area just to walk around to a second elevator. I felt like I had to sign my life away at check in. It was almost as if they expected that we were going to trash the place! Loud and weird music piped throughout the hotel. Also, parking fees were ridiculous. Never again will I stay here. There are much classier hotels with better amenities downtown.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends