“Was expecting far better” 3 of 5 stars

Loews Minneapolis Hotel
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“Was expecting far better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed for my birthday for a long weekend while I was up from Vail at the recommendation of my friend who had stayed a few times before and had good experiences. As I work in a luxury boutique hotel, I have high but reasonable standards, and I felt that for the most part The Graves fell short.

First of all they didn't have a spa, which was a major disappointment. I was told they are working on building one now, which will serve them well in the future. The rooms were modern and comfortable, although perhaps a bit bright for my taste. The 5-head shower had no water pressure and the sinks clogged pretty quickly, but other than that the bathrooms were nice and clean.

Both Cosmos and Bradstreet I thought were fun places to hang out with my friends and the cocktails were creative and good. No ice machines on the floors was an annoyance as we called pretty regularly for ice and I felt like I was becoming a nuisance.

I wouldn't say the staff was unfriendly, but I think there is room for improvement regarding customer service in general. One strange incident I had was riding in the elevator with some type of manager I would assume, and not being greeted or even acknowledged as he was looking at his iPhone the whole time. It was very awkward and I thought quite rude.

The location can't be beat and I think with some minor improvements this could be a much better hotel.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the side of the hotel that faces downtown; the other side looks right out on top of t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
Patrick C, Other at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Marisha, thanks for the feedback. We're always looking for good ideas and aiming to improve — we're shooting to get U.S. News & World Report's "Best Hotel in Minnesota" two years in a row. In fact, the inspiration for the spa we're working on now came from customer responses just like yours. We care, we listen, and we put these reviews into action. So again, we appreciate the comments. We'll make sure our whole team sees them so that we can ensure we're living up to the high standards we set for ourselves.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at the Graves 601 for a friend's bachelorette party, and the customer service we got was disgusting! Any time we talked with an employee they gave us a horrible attitude and were very rude. Especially the guy working late night at the front desk. I was disgusted at how they treated us and will NEVER return to this hotel. The manager the next morning was very helpful and apologetic, but she definitely needs to get some new staff.
The only reason this gets a poor rating instead of terrible is because the room was nice and clean. This was the worst stay I've ever had at a hotel. Do NOT waste your money on this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Kristine, I'm sorry to hear about this. The manager you spoke to passed on your feedback already, and our team is currently investigating what might have happened. We take every measure to ensure our guests are comfortable and treated with the friendliness they deserve. Comments like yours help us to ensure that we maintain the high standard consistently, so thank you. If you have any more info you can provide, I invite you to call our front desk and let us know.
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I'm not going to name names, because I like to think that the unfriendly staff people at the Graves were just having a bad day. Yeah, maybe they were ALL having a bad day--both days we were there. A friend had described the hotel restaurant as treating you like you're lucky to be there, and that pretty much describes how the hotel staff acts too. No smiles, fairly abrupt, and never helpful. But they also seemed like they were really, deeply unhappy and couldn't be bothered to try and make anybody else happy.

As for the rooms, ours seemed to be newly redecorated. It was very modern, and was pretty nice overall, but it had a very cold vibe with bright lights and light hardwood floors. The sofa had a stain on it that was better left unidentified, and we weren't about to sit there. The bathroom sink was mostly clogged and filled up with water whenever we used it. The shower was terrible. The TV was hard to figure out. There was construction noise from another floor during the day. Oh--and this was really cool--they charge you ten dollars if you want ice! That's ten dollars, every time, for every (tiny) bucket of ice they bring you. Very impressive! I'm so glad the water was free!

Not to be totally negative, the bed and the pillows were very comfortable. Also, the desk clerk who checked us out on the last day was nice and helpful in giving me directions. And I met a friendly valet when I got the car out once, whose name was Simon. Other than that, though, the hotel is staffed with absolutely miserable people who have no concept of customer service. Due to a last minute, weather-induced change of plans, we added a day to our Minneapolis visit and had stayed the prior night at the W. It was like night and day. If they have any aspirations for improvement, the Graves should scrap their entire training program and just pay for each new employee to stay a night at the W so they can see how a great hotel is run.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
It's disappointing to hear that your stay with us wasn't more enjoyable. We strive to make every guest feel at home and to provide them the most luxurious, comfort-filled experience in Minneapolis. That's one reason why we were recently named the Best Hotel in Minnesota by U.S. News & World Report. That said, we appreciate your feedback — comments like yours help us to constantly grow and to achieve our mission of friendly customer service. We will make sure to pass your review on to our team to ensure that we live up that standard consistently.
Minnesota City, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I checked in on Feb. 8 after 3:00pm the lady at the front desk was very rude. When I first walked up to the desk she was talking on the phone which was fine with me since I was not in a hurry, after 10 minutes she glares at me and says " You will just have to wait" - I responded " O.K. it is not a problem, I did not say anything." I was standing there enjoying my magazine.

The General Manager should at the very least encourage the front desk to act with basic hospitality.

I stayed on the 20th floor, the room is attractive. However I would not stay or recommend staying at this hotel. There is equal in appearance nearby hotels, were you will receive courteous treatment.

Room Tip: The best tip I can offer in choosing a room - Don't go to another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
David, I'm sorry to hear about this. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Our mission is for every guest to feel completely welcome from the moment they walk in. We understand how important that first impression is, and I'll make sure our front desk receives your feedback to ensure we're always living up to our own high standards. That said, I hope that next time you're in Minneapolis, whether for business or pleasure, you give our team a second chance. We'd love to have you!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at the Graves 601 from March 10-13, 2013. The main reason why I decided upon this property was due to the fact that my normal hotel had higher rates for this time period so wanted something that was more within my budget. Check-in was very easy although my room wasn't available until noon due to a full hotel. I stayed in room 1704 with a view of Target Field and Target Centre that was right across the street from this hotel. Going to two Wolves games was a breeze, especially with the Skyway. For some reason I had complimentary internet for my stay which surprized me a bit considering I had read reviews of people complaining that they had to pay for their usage. The room was comfortable, the shower fantastic. I found the hotel public areas a bit too dark for my liking though, and the elevators were confusing. There were too many guests slamming doors around my room which was a bit disappointing when it came to sleeping. Would I stay here again? I'm really not sure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed so much of your visit with us. We feel the advantages to staying downtown, the view and the convenience, really are worth the quirks of our elevators. We hope that next time you've got T'Wolves tickets, you stay with us again!