“Stylish but not cosy!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Stylish but not cosy!”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

A pleasant hotel on a busy street in down town Minneapolis with a Starbucks and an Irish bar next door. Concierges were always on hand to open doors and help with luggage. Check in was quick with the obligatory credit card stored for extras. My room was on the sixth floor, this entailed taking the elevator to the fourth floor then going round the corner and taking the guest elevators to the sixth. The corridor walls and floors were all finished in dark, polished parquet wood with low lighting. This gave a rather dark and oppressive feel at first but you soon got used to it. By contrast the rooms were light and airy. Nothing unusual but clean, comfortable and contemporary. The large double bed had good quality white linen, additional seating in the form of a chaise and armchair, wardrobe with mini bar, dressing table and large flat screen, wall mounted TV and a variety of lighting options. The room had air con but I found this a bit disturbing when it started up in the night and woke me , so I turned it off, There was also a background hum, which kept me awake, combined with jet lag it doesn't take much! A closet had an iron and board, hair dryer, bath robes, electronic safe and extra hanging space. The bathroom was large with toiletries replenished daily, plenty of towels, and large walk-in shower. A small TV faced the toilet, but as there was no bath this seemed a bit unnecessary. The bed was turned down in the evening, curtains drawn, standard lamp lit and mini bar table with fresh ice opened out into the room. The bathroom looked like it had been tidied as well with dirty towels removed and the basin cleaned. It was a nice touch and made the room feel welcoming when you returned. I did not use the bar or restaurant so cannot comment on these. The purpose of my visit was business but I would stay here as a holiday guest if I visited the city for a holiday.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Stephanie,

Our sleek aesthetic really does reflect the electric vibe of our great city. Thanks for staying with us! We hope to welcome you back during your next visit.

Patrick, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Lincoln, NE
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We chose the Graves in order to have a relaxing yet classy experience, and we weren't disappointed. First and foremost, the room was QUIET -- we didn't even hear the people next to us (granted, we had one of the lovely corner rooms on an upper floor). The bed was extremely comfortable, and the five-head shower was great (although I would have appreciated a laminated card telling me how to work the three controls!). Thanks to a prior reviewer who alerted us to the ice delivered with room turn-down, and the complimentary coffee maker available if you ask (we're not Starbucks fans). We were also impressed with the staff, who were very quick to respond and pleasant, even during busy times and odd hours. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Graves again if I was spending time in downtown Minneapolis.

Room Tip: An upper floor is quieter of course - and if you get one on the front (northwest) side you can look...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Between the five-headed shower and our comfortable beds, we'll make sure that you leave feeling relaxed and rejuvenated! We're thrilled that everyone made you feel so welcome. Thank you for taking the time to review us. We hope to see you during your next stay in Minneapolis!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My hubby and I stayed here on our wedding night and go back every 6 months or so for a night away. We love the modern decor, the swankiness, and the fact that you can walk to a bunch of bars and restaurants without taking a cab. We always love staying there and the front desk staff is always very friendly. This most recent trip, we did the breakfast package where you get $18 per person towards breakfast in the restaurant or room service. It was so delicious (we ate in the restaurant)...I would highly recommend the fresh squeezed OJ.
Can't go wrong with the Graves!

Room Tip: The corner king suites are better than the cheapest option...spring for the corner room : )
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Bri,

We're in the perfect location to help you make the most of your night out! It's so nice to hear that you and your husband have had such a wonderful time with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your story. We'll see you again soon!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Our second stay at the stylish Graves, as this is our second favorite luxury hotel in MSP/STP area. (The Chambers is #1 on our list, but the Graves has far more reasonable rates.) And while most things were good there were a few issues during our two night stay.

Pros: *Location can't be beat for downtown activities. This time we took in a Twins game and it could not have been more convenient. *Coffee maker and refrigerator for room had to be requested in advance, but were complimentary. *The Corner Executive King rooms have fantastic views, plenty of space and lovely bathrooms. *Room service was fast, courteous, and food was great. *The ice delivery with turndown service is lovely. *LOVE having a real Starbucks adjacent to the lobby. *Multi-head shower and TV in the bathroom were real hits with us. *Staff are always friendly, even when dealing with issues. There were issues with the internet charges on our bill (watch your bill CLOSELY in this regard) and they were taken care of quickly and kindly.

Cons: *We were notified at check in of some construction going on, but were told it would not impact our room. Wrong. It was quite loud coming from the room above ours. They started much earlier in the morning than the letter left in our room indicated. This was a real bother. *I can see why they are working on the hotel, because there were large patches of the wall in the bathroom with water damage/mold. *The morning we checked out we had no less than 3 knocks from housekeeping wanting to get in to our room to clean. Really? $300/nt for a room and you are going to try to shoo me out 3 hours before checkout? *Finally - the valet LOST our car and were had to wait 30 minutes while a manager got involved and our vehicle was located.

I'm certain we would stay again, but will definitely call for an update on construction before doing so.

Room Tip: The Corner Executive King rooms are a little more expensive, but the two sides of windows and quiet...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. While it seems like the majority of your stay was wonderful, we apologize for the construction noise due to the installation of new hardwood floors. I'll review your comments with our housekeeping team regarding less interuptions. We are constantly improving for our guests, and in the next few weeks we'll be adding coffee makers to our guestrooms. We hope to welcome you back soon so you can see it yourself! Thank you for your feedback. Please let us know what we can do to further enhance your next stay.

Best,
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

I booked 2 rooms at the Graves for a bachelorette party downtown, and was pleased with the hotel. I loved the decor (from the Futura fonts on the room numbers to the frosted glass at the restaurant). The bed was unbelievably comfortable; it was hard to leave in the morning! The room also featured a TV in the bathroom, a "well-stocked" mini-bar, and great views of the city. Check-in and check-out were a breeze, as was parking in the Block E ramp beneath the hotel. There was a great room service menu (even late night!). My sole complaint is that in the morning I could hear every neighboring room's door open and close despite having the room fan on. I would gladly stay again, but will be sure to grab my iPad with the sleep machine app for an even more sound sleep.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
We're thrilled that we could be a part of such a happy occasion! I'm so glad that we could help you and your friends make the most of the celebration. It sounds like you had a blast! Thank you for staying with us, and for the fabulous review. We hope to see you again soon!

Best,
Minneapolis
Reviewed August 28, 2012

4.5 star hotel and you can see why. Service was excellent, they brought my bags up to the 18th floor from the valet parking, delivered ice to my room, and really made the weekend enjoyable for a special occasion. They even upgraded my room to make it more memorable. The room had all the amenities you could ask for, and a high tech shower. Location is great, right in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. I'd also recommend getting a drink in the chill 4th floor bar.

1 Thank Xfactor7483
It's our pleasure to do everything we can to make your stay a fabulous one! I will be sure to share your comments with our Staff — I know everyone will be happy to hear your kind words! Thank you for the fantastic review. We would be delighted to welcome you back during your next trip to Minneapolis.

Burnsville, Minnesota
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Graves 601 is a wonderful hotel. As you walk in the decor is dark and sophisticated. An elevator takes you to the fourth floor where they have a stylish wine bar with a wide selection of premium drinks. Another elevator takes you to your room.

The room has a very contemporary and luxurious feel. Massive wall mounted flat screen TV, light wood desk area, and modern illumination throughout the room. There's the typical over priced mini bar to abuse at your own risk.

The bathroom is ultra modern with copious amounts of glass, tile and granite. And a TV for those who can't bare to be away from your favorite show while doing your thing in the bathroom.

The bed and linens are premium and clean. Oversized pillows, two areas to hang clothes, bath robes, and a few other nice detail elements to leave a great impression.

Some reviewers have complained that the Internet and Valet parking is pricey. And it is. You can expect to pay twenty dollars for their top Internet service (they have three differently priced options from basic to 2.5Mbps and unlimited long distance calling; but they are all over $10 a night). And the valet is going to cost around $30 too.

Frankly though, you don't buy a Bentley and complain about gas mileage. If you are going to choose to stay in a four star hotel, you have to expect this kind of thing. Personally, I think of a hotel like this as the occasional indulgence if I can snap up a room on one of those discount hotel sites for a good price. I'm certainly not going to book in for two weeks at full price. I'll leave that to the rich folks.

On the second occasion I stayed in the hotel my Internet was not working properly. The staff jumped on this problem like I had just told them someone had been murdered in the room! I had a technician with diagnostic equipment in my room in minutes, and when they couldn't fix it, they moved me to another room, comped me free drinks and free Internet, and the duty manager called me to personally apologize and make sure everything was fine. Can't say fairer than that. They seem to react aggressively and promptly to deal with any issue, which is awesome.

There is a Starbucks next door that you can walk to without going outside and next to that (which you can still get to without going outside) is a really nice Irish pub with some great inexpensive food and excellent drink selection. The hotel has an upscale restaurant and is also connected to the extensive Skywalk system allowing you to walk for miles around the city without stepping foot outside.

Overall it's hard to fault a hotel like this. I guess if I'm being really pedantic it is a little annoying that you have to take two elevators to get to the room, and three to get from the room to the Skywalk. But that's being really pedantic.

Room Tip: From what I can tell this hotel faces either towards the Target center which can be a little boring...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank ZCT808
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
We always enjoy reading thorough, thoughtful reviews like yours. Thank you for taking the time to discuss your recent stays. It is wonderful to see how impressed you've been with both rooms, as well as our staff's service. Thank you again. We hope to welcome you back during your next trip to Minneapolis!