“Perfect hotel for a special occasion”

Loews Minneapolis Hotel
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis
“Perfect hotel for a special occasion”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

4.5 star hotel and you can see why. Service was excellent, they brought my bags up to the 18th floor from the valet parking, delivered ice to my room, and really made the weekend enjoyable for a special occasion. They even upgraded my room to make it more memorable. The room had all the amenities you could ask for, and a high tech shower. Location is great, right in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. I'd also recommend getting a drink in the chill 4th floor bar.

1 Thank Xfactor7483
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
It's our pleasure to do everything we can to make your stay a fabulous one! I will be sure to share your comments with our Staff — I know everyone will be happy to hear your kind words! Thank you for the fantastic review. We would be delighted to welcome you back during your next trip to Minneapolis.

Patrick, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Burnsville, Minnesota
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Graves 601 is a wonderful hotel. As you walk in the decor is dark and sophisticated. An elevator takes you to the fourth floor where they have a stylish wine bar with a wide selection of premium drinks. Another elevator takes you to your room.

The room has a very contemporary and luxurious feel. Massive wall mounted flat screen TV, light wood desk area, and modern illumination throughout the room. There's the typical over priced mini bar to abuse at your own risk.

The bathroom is ultra modern with copious amounts of glass, tile and granite. And a TV for those who can't bare to be away from your favorite show while doing your thing in the bathroom.

The bed and linens are premium and clean. Oversized pillows, two areas to hang clothes, bath robes, and a few other nice detail elements to leave a great impression.

Some reviewers have complained that the Internet and Valet parking is pricey. And it is. You can expect to pay twenty dollars for their top Internet service (they have three differently priced options from basic to 2.5Mbps and unlimited long distance calling; but they are all over $10 a night). And the valet is going to cost around $30 too.

Frankly though, you don't buy a Bentley and complain about gas mileage. If you are going to choose to stay in a four star hotel, you have to expect this kind of thing. Personally, I think of a hotel like this as the occasional indulgence if I can snap up a room on one of those discount hotel sites for a good price. I'm certainly not going to book in for two weeks at full price. I'll leave that to the rich folks.

On the second occasion I stayed in the hotel my Internet was not working properly. The staff jumped on this problem like I had just told them someone had been murdered in the room! I had a technician with diagnostic equipment in my room in minutes, and when they couldn't fix it, they moved me to another room, comped me free drinks and free Internet, and the duty manager called me to personally apologize and make sure everything was fine. Can't say fairer than that. They seem to react aggressively and promptly to deal with any issue, which is awesome.

There is a Starbucks next door that you can walk to without going outside and next to that (which you can still get to without going outside) is a really nice Irish pub with some great inexpensive food and excellent drink selection. The hotel has an upscale restaurant and is also connected to the extensive Skywalk system allowing you to walk for miles around the city without stepping foot outside.

Overall it's hard to fault a hotel like this. I guess if I'm being really pedantic it is a little annoying that you have to take two elevators to get to the room, and three to get from the room to the Skywalk. But that's being really pedantic.

Room Tip: From what I can tell this hotel faces either towards the Target center which can be a little boring...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank ZCT808
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
We always enjoy reading thorough, thoughtful reviews like yours. Thank you for taking the time to discuss your recent stays. It is wonderful to see how impressed you've been with both rooms, as well as our staff's service. Thank you again. We hope to welcome you back during your next trip to Minneapolis!

Denver
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed at the Graves 601 for a quick weekend trip to Minneapolis. Depending on what you're looking for, I honestly think this is the nicest hotel in the Twin Cities metro area (my wife and I used to live in Minneapolis not long ago, and know the other hotels relatively well.). Starting from check-in, this place exudes class. Valet was quick to greet us despite multiple guests arriving simultaneously. The door was held open for us and before I could turn around our luggage was already loaded onto a dolly. Entering the lobby is almost like entering an art museum, with high ceilings and beautiful decor that begs you to take a closer look. Check-in was speedy and I was soon on my way to the room. Notably, despite a busy travel weekend, I was able to check in 5 hours early -- very convenient. The hotel location can't be beat -- directly across the street from the Target Center, with all that downtown has to offer just steps away. The light rail stops just a block away, making for a very easy trip to and from the airport.

One slightly goofy feature is that you have to take 2 elevators to get to the rooms. However, this increases privacy and security, and is somewhat needed given the creative and delicious drinks at the Bradstreet bar (open to the public) and Cosmos lounge/restaurant (also open to the public). You pass right by both of them to get to the rooms, although I must say it's tough to just walk by -- both are visually stunning in very inviting ways. The Bradstreet is more of a lounge with dark lighting, while the Cosmos is very contemporary.

The room offered a great view of southwest Minneapolis (who knew the Target Center had grass on the roof?) and Target Field. I stayed in a whirlpool suite with a king bed, a relatively standard room but with a very clean design and excellent use of space. We were very comfortable in the room and enjoyed exploring the intricate features included in the room (reading lights, heat lamp, etc.).

All in all, this is a wonderful hotel. It is a bit pricey, but you can often find deals on various websites. We'll definitely be staying here the next time we come to Minneapolis.

Room Tip: When reserving, ask for either downtown or suburbs view, depending on your preference. I prefer the...
1 Thank Jonny S
Jonny,

From check-in to check-out, we're thrilled that we were able to offer you a sleek, comfortable experience here in Minneapolis. It is wonderful to hear such kind words, especially given your familiarity with hotels in the area. Thank you for taking the time to review us. We'd love to welcome you and your wife again soon!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at the Graves after a bad experience in another hotel during a road trip. Using Hotwire, we were able to get a room at 1/3 of the normal rate. The hotel is located downtown, right next to Target field, with plenty of stores, restaurants, bars, and theaters within walking distances. The hotel itself is decorated in a very chic, modern style. Our room was large, bright, and clean with more modern decor. The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in. Paying for parking stinks, but it's to be expected with any downtown hotel. It's less expensive if you skip the hotel's valet service and just park yourself in the ramp underneath the building. We were able to park right next to the elevator that lets you out right next to the hotel's entrance. Another annoyance was $20.00 a day for internet. This is something else that seems to be typical of expensive hotels. Just about every budget hotel there is includes free wi-fi. There is, however, free wi-fi available in the lobby and various other public sitting areas. Overall, a nice stay.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
I'm thrilled that we were able to offer you a relaxing retreat after your previous experience. Thanks for taking the time to review us — you left a wonderful account of your stay that was a pleasure to read. We'd love to welcome you back next time you're in Minneapolis!

Richfield, Minnesota
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Great location but the hotel needs to try harder to keep up with the competition.

Pros: very comfortable beds, wonderful location for exploring downtown & northeast.

Cons: having to write this review via cell service because it is $20/day to have wi-fi in any room (public spaces have free service though), room decor is a bit dated (ex: wood flooring is showing wear, wood paneling is pulling away from wall, crown molding is separating from the ceiling, outlet nearest bed doesn't work--thus floor lamp doesn't either, water stains from glasses set on the wooden corner window seat, desk is beat up)

Overall, while the view wouldn't have been as good, the in-room experience wasn't fancier than at much less expensive chain hotels. Plus I can get a quick cup of coffee most anywhere for free either in my room or in the lobby, but not at the Graves. Consider getting more for your money at other premium hotels downtown.

• Stayed August 2012
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Jonny,

Thank you for staying with us. While we are thrilled that you were able to get a great night's sleep on our luxurious beds, We're sorry that you were not as impressed with the rest of your experience.

We have always believed that our sleek, streamlined interior helped to create a mood perfect for decompressing after a long day. We appreciate the very detailed account of your thoughts, and are happy to take your feedback into consideration as we continue to make the necessary upgrades. Our current upgrades include adding illy Espresso Machines as well as replacing the hardwood flooors and carpet in all guestrooms. Addtionally, we've had the appropriate departments check out the room you occupied so we can make the repairs you've brought to our attention.

We are constantly working to improve for our guests. On behalf of the entire Staff, we would be proud to welcome you back during your next stay in Minneapolis. I'm sure that you will not be disappointed!

Verndale, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway for our 10 year wedding anniversary. Great location, right across from Target field, and shopping, also a movie theatre in the building. Clean, modern rooms, with luxurious sheets and a rain shower. Excellent resturaunts on-site and nearby. And most important great staff, everyone was very friendly and helpful.

1 Thank Shyla H
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Shyla,

We are certainly in the perfect location to access all the fun that Minneapolis' night life has to offer. I'm thrilled that we could help you celebrate such a momentous occasion! Thank you for taking the time to review us. I know everyone will appreciate your kind words! We'd love to welcome you back again next year.

Warm regards,
varied
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I LOVED this hotel....and I really dont love hotels in general :)

Great location and a very, very spacious rooms that gleam with cleaniness and cool design. I almost didnt leave the room! Some nice bars in the hotel and friendly staff. Recommend!

Room Tip: I've given an average on value becuase this hotel really gets expensive at certain times of the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
It's lovely to hear such kind words, especially from someone who doesn't usually care for staying in a hotel! We're thrilled that we were able to help you enjoy this great city even more. Thank you for the fabulous review. We hope to see you next time you're in Minneapolis!