“Diamond Suite was Sweet”

Loews Minneapolis Hotel
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I stayed in the Graves 601 for three nights as part of a guys weekend. We needed an area for the 13 of us to get together, hang out, play cards, etc. Our group has been all over the United States, and I've never found a more perfect place for a guys weekend. Located in the penthouse, the Diamond Suite has a bedroom with a king-sized bed and a large communal room with separate entrance from the hallway. It also has two huge HD TVs, a glass-topped boardroom table that seats 10, and an amazing view that looks right into the Twins' Target Field. More amazing, the suite was well priced -- by adding a roll away (plenty of room), we didn't even need to collect any extra money from the rest of the guys. The Graves 601 is super well located in the heart of the downtown entertainment district. Transportation was also easy as the hotel is right on the light rail line that takes you directly to/from the airport for $1.75. The hotel was always hopping, which I appreciate. Some of the guys thought the the hotel was a little too hip, but even they seemed to get used to it by the end of the weekend. While we were there, we ran into wedding parties, a fashion show, and gobs of Twins fans making the hotel feel like it was the place to be.

Room Tip: The suites have better prices than most hotels I've visited.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Keithcu
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

It's great to hear from you. I'm glad you enjoyed staying with us for your guys' weekend--it sounds like the Diamond Suite was perfect for you! We're fortunate to be in such a great location and we appreciate your comments. We would love to welcome you and the guys back any time!

Graves 601 Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,771)

Reviewed April 18, 2012

This hotel was awesome! Amazing rooms, very clean, great service, and in the heart of downtown! I can't wait to stay again!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jenna W

Jenna,

So great to hear from you! I'm glad you find the hotel clean and cool and the service helpful and accommodating. We'd love to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed April 10, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Graves 601 to celebrate our anniversary. We were placed in a corner room on the 19th floor, which offered gorgeous views of downtown Minneapolis.

Grabbed a night-cap at the Bradstreet Crafthouse just off of the lobby - great drinks and service! As for the room - the bed was really comfortable, and provided for a great night's sleep.

My only complaint would be around the check-in process. Both of the staff members were attending to one guest ... for nearly 10 minutes. Simple recognition that I was standing there waiting would have gone far, as opposed to avoiding eye contact.

1  Thank Rogue_Gent_612
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

It's great to hear from you. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and celebrating your anniversary. We appreciate your feedback about the check-in process and will take it into consideration moving forward. We'd love to welcome you back again any time!

Reviewed April 8, 2012

For how highly rated this hotel is, I expected much more. I've only stayed here once and for all I know I ended up with the worst room in the whole hotel, but for the price it is not worth staying here.

Starting with the good:
- The lobby and other public spaces are very attractive and have great ambiance. The check in process was smooth and at that point in the trip I had no reason to believe the room would be anything but stellar.
- The location is great for walking and there are plenty of places to eat nearby.
- The service was helpful and fast. We called for ice a couple times and it was at our door almost immediately.
- The room was very clean.

The bad:
- It was obvious that the room decor had been carefully selected and would have been stunning when new, but it was equally obvious that the room had seen better days. The furniture was exceptionally chipped and scratched up, and some of the finishes were peeling, like the wood veneer by the window.
- There were a couple back-lit pictures on the wall but one of them appeared to have liquid damage, was no longer flush with the wall like the other, and was barely hanging on.
- Minute, admittedly, but the mini bar menu was missing from the folder in the minibar.
- The only clock in the room was set to the incorrect day and time.
- The bathroom scale was not functioning correctly. It would turn on but it would not register weight.
- The hinge on the magnifying mirror in the bathroom was worn out and no longer holding the mirror upright.
- The shower would suddenly lose and then regain pressure when being used. It happened 11 times during my shower, my partner said it happened to him too.
- There were guests in the hall shouting between 2-3 am that woke us up.

Nothing that was wrong with the room was outrageous and the impact to our stay was minimal. That said, the lack of attention to detail wasn't fitting with a 4.5 star hotel. For the average room rate I would not recommend this hotel when there are other options available nearby that offer the full 4.5 star experience, from lobby to room to dining.

1  Thank jd1ngle

Jennifer,

We truly appreciate your feedback. I'm very sorry to hear that you were not more impressed with some of the aspects of your room. If you could get in touch with us and tell us your room number we'd love to address some of your concerns. Of course, you can always tell the front desk about any problems and they would be more than happy to make things right or move you to a different room. I do hope you'll afford us another opportunity to impress you; I know we can show you a great stay.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

I loved the hotel! Very clean, contemporary style, comfortable bed and nice shower.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

Thanks for the great review! I'm glad you enjoy the style of the hotel as well as our beds and unique showers. We would love to welcome you back again any time.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

A completely adequate hotel, if you like IKEA, you will love this hotel! This is a young hotel and really trendy for the area. This is a great place for young couples and groups of friends but not so much for families or older travelers.

The good:
-Graves is in a perfect location for seeing the sites of Minneapolis and/or for going out for a night on the town.
-The linens, duvet and pillows are great goose down quality and the bed was very soft, like it had a slightly lumpy mattress cover on it.
-Breakfast was fantastic; great menu options, great service, great coffee

The bad:
-We stayed over a weekend and there were plenty of bachelor, bachelorette and birthday celebrations going on in the hotel. We were woken up a few times throughout the night and I overhead a couple in the elevator (from a different floor) saying they called down to reception at 3:30am to complain about the noise and nothing was done. On the flip side, this is a great place to have a hotel party.

I don't mind IKEA but it isn't my idea of quality or relaxation. There were strange pictures of pears in my room that lit up (classic IKEA), there was no bath but an ok shower and there was a dirty sofa in the room BUT there was a TV in the bathroom and a well stocked mini bar. I don't understand why money was spent on extras while great basics are ignored.

And finally, there is one elevator that brings you to the 4th floor then you must walk through the bar (three rights) to get to the elevator to your room. Novelty at first but it is just weird and inconvenient after a day or two.

In conclusion, not a terrible hotel but I don't recommend it and wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brittam

Thank you for reviewing us. I'm glad you found the rooms comfortable and liked the location. I do apologize if you had any trouble with other guests; I will certainly pass that feedback along to our security personnel so that we can improve our service in the future. I do hope you'll afford us another opportunity to impress you; I know we can show you a great stay.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

We were here for an overnight visit. The hotel is great if you are young to the target center. The beds are amazing. It was too bad the rest fell short. There were a lot of people just hanging around. I know there are two restaurants there so I get that. The fact that there was a random man throwing up right outside the hotel door was not appealing. I'm sure the hotel has little control over this..it still was gross. Also our shower didn't work. We realized this in the morning. So I guess there wasn't much they could do then. I mentioned this to the front desk when we checked out so at least the next guest could be clean. She didn't really care. She was more interested in whatever was going on behind the desk. Would I stay here again..well probably not. But again..the beds were awesome.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

I'm very sorry to hear about your impression of our hotel. We would never want to give you the impression that the quality of your stay was not important to us. I assure you I will be passing your feedback along to the staff so that we might improve our service in the future. I hope you'll afford us another opportunity to impress you; I know we can show you a great stay.