“Pretty cool!”
Review of Foshay Tower

Foshay Tower
Ranked #26 of 212 things to do in Minneapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: After recent renovation, our museum and observation deck are now open seven days a week from 12:00pm-9:00pm. Weather permitting, both will be open year round.
Apple Valley, Minnesota
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Pretty cool!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

The Foshay Tower in Minneapolis has been converted into a hotel. I did not stay at the hotel, but I saw the lobby & bar area...pretty cool, very modern. If those are any indication, I'd try the hotel & I'm kind of a hotel snob. Regardless, my review is of the Museum & Obversation Deck. On the 30th floor, there is a small museum and a flight of stairs leading to an open-air obversation deck. This is by no means the tallest skyscraper in Mpls, but it's still up there enough to get a really nice view of the area. The museum is small, but there is a lot of reading!!!! There are some pictures and a series of short movies on a screen in the corner as well. If you take the time to read, it is VERY interesting. The story of WB Foshay, his empire, his fall make for great reading...why hasn't anyone made a movie about it??? The short documentaries are also interesting...they really paint a picture of the times and what the man & his building went through.

I took my 4 small children (ages 5 & 7) as part of an architecture adventure we were exploring. I didn't get to read nearly enough of the information available to satisfy me, because of this...they were bored. Viewing on the deck wasn't much better for them. The views were great for me, but the perimeter of the deck is a 4.5-5 ft concrete wall (give or take) so they could see nothing without me holding them up. Also the walkway around the deck is quite narrow, maybe 3-4 ft between the building and the perimeter wall.

Overall I enjoyed it. I would recommend seeing it. My kids will enjoy it too, in another 5 years. We spent about 1 hour there, but i'd plan on another 30 mins without the kiddos.

Visited August 2012

Minneapolis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place to stay, visit, hang out”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The hotel in the Foshay is awesome. Great bars located here as well. Loved the observation deck. It is wide open. I can't believe I've lived here all my life and just recently did this. Highly recommend to locals and visitors alike. And with Manny's being downstairs, how can you go wrong? Great location too.

Visited December 2011
Minnesota
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“mpls landmark worth a visit”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Beautiful building. The observation deck at the top is fun and offers some pretty nice views of the city and surrounding area. The tiny museum isn't much, but does explain the history of the building. Definitely worth a visit if you are in the city and have some time to kill.

Maple Grove, Minnesota
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“fun place to visit - great views of Minneapolis”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

If you are a Minnesota resident you can go to the library and check out the Museum passes for this attraction (there is a cute little museum at the base of the observation deck) and it's literally free to do this! Being from Minnesota - I felt this was cooler than going up the Empire State building in New York or the Hancock in Chicago because you could actually pick out buildings that you knew and see a "new" perspective. Also, because we aren't as crowded of a city, you could see for a miles - not just the adjacent buildings.

St. Paul
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Beautiful views of the area”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The open-air observation deck is fun (if you like heights). The musuem was a little disappointing as it was mostly pictures and old newspaper clippings.