“No view of stage, packed in like sardines, unfriendly staff.”
Review of First Avenue

First Avenue
Ranked #3 of 128 Nightlife in Minneapolis
Chicago, Illinois
“No view of stage, packed in like sardines, unfriendly staff.”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you want to go to a place where you are treated like a pile of dirt go here. This venue is small which would be an appealing amenity but the layout is lacking. There is a main floor and a small upper balcony. The balcony used to be open but now there are stations and tables all along so people that reserve these can stand and block your view. It is always packed so full that you are unable to move freely or even see the band. Tonight I paid $100 to see the YYY preform. I arrived early and went inside. I explained to the staff member that I have an allergy to the ink in their stamps and asked if they could please not stamp me. The staff member was rude by trying to stamp me anyway despite what I had just informed him of and by not being understanding to this health concern.  The Assistant Manager cam down and was less than understanding. She stood there and didn't say much and crossed her arms and deferred to the staff member.
They took my ticket after it was scanned and said that I couldn't keep it as proof of payment, that's what the stamp was for. The staff manner asked me what I do for a living and other bizarre questions. He explained that if he let me in I had better have a good attitude so I wouldn't "ruin the vibe of others around me."
After entry I stood upstairs, the place began to fill up. I tried standing in one place but was crowded out. The only place to physically stand was on the last step of the staircase along the railing. A staff member had waked by me and told me I could not stand there. I tried to show there was no where to physically stand. He grabbed my arm and asked for my ID. They escorted me out, kept my ID, whipped out a knife to cut my wrist band off my arm an had a red marker to mark my hand.
I wasn't the only person they have harassed and I won't be the last. Bottom line,
if this happens to a small, professional woman who hadn't mouthed off, started any nuisance it goes to show that it's a private business and once they have your money they can do whatever they want.

Visited June 2013

Berkeley, California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Great room, great music”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Although my sweetie is from Minnesota, this was his first time at First Avenue, and we both loved it. We've seen a lot of shows in a lot of cities, and the room at First Avenue had great sound and great crowd access to the stage. Food was available, little bars were near every section, there were enough bathrooms. All in all, a great place to see a show.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank BonneChere
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“funnest night ever”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

live bands of differant kinds every weekend any prince fan is gona love this city never mind the club this was where purple rain was filmed a prince movie great location after a hour or 2 if the club gets 2 crowded you can walk to any club from here one of the nicest club scenes in a city i have ever seen staff trys to be friendly but there busy drinks are a little costly depending on the band the crowd can become rude alot of history a must if visting the city gotta go to understand

Visited August 2012
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Terrible Venue”
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

First time here. Sold out show. Probably 100 people have a view of the stage and another 100 can hear the show. The other few hundred of us paid for no view and horrible sound. Never again.

Visited May 2013
st paul, mn
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Cloud Cult show was amazing”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I've loved First Avenue since the '80s when I was in college, and I love that a middle-aged chick from the suburbs can still enjoy a show there with no attitude from the staff.

Visited April 2013