“A very pleasant dinner”
Review of Wise Acre Eatery

Wise Acre Eatery
Reserve with OpenTable
Wise Acre Eatery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #101 of 1,800 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Local sourced American cuisine.
Huntersville, North Carolina
“A very pleasant dinner”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

First of all our dining experience was very nice from hostess seating to the bill. As others mentioned, the grub is local, sustainable, and organic. While I'm not into organic so much, I believe in and support local and sustainable. While the staff was informative about the menu and food origin, I never got the impression that it was a "lecture." Actually, after learning of some of the horrific food supply chain practices of some of the larger chain restaurants, I am very much interested in where my food comes from and under what conditions.

We had sugar peas prepared like edemame for the app (special of the day) and they were decadent. For mains we shared the Springtime Palette and the Brie Bacon Burger. Both were very good and presentation was quite inviting.

We sat outside and it was a beautiful evening. The Planes in and out of MSP were a nuisance, but that would likely to apply for any outside dining in a five mile radius.

I know some reviewers carped about the cost, but please learn more about how the commercial food used in most dining chain is is raised, drugged caged/penned, killed. You may come away feeling like an un-indicted co-conspirator. Animal maltreatment widely condoned to keep costs as low as possible; I think paying a bit more for animals raised on a farm instead of a commercial feedlot is a worthwhile contribution to both better food and improved animal husbandry.

Decent location, attentive service, awesome grub and reasonable prices - well worth a try. I will def return on subsequent MSP travels.

• Visited June 2014

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“So much better this year”
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

This is not my first review of Wise Acre. Because I love the Tangletown Gardens across the street and the owner, I want to give Wise Acre the benefit of the doubt. (Owned by the same people). The food has never been the problem. Tonight, I would say exceptional. The problem in the past has been wait staff. Not this time. Excellent service. I had the picnic chicken which is served on a bed of their baked beans. The beans are grown on their farm. It was delicious. The serving size was large so well worth the price. Their vegetarian selection was also excellent.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank islandmarsh
Minnesota
“No where near as impressive as they obviously believe themselves to be”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I scanned the reviews to see if I came on a bad day or if I just didn't "get" the place, but several reviews mention 1) that the place is pretentious, 2) that the food is overpriced, and 3) that the "hostess" is, simply, rude.
We had traveled to south Minneapolis to visit our favorite Tangletown Gardens, and thought we'd have lunch at the burger/ice cream store across the street. But the friendly and neighborly ice cream shop had become Wise Acre Eatery, apparently owned by the Tangletown folks. Ok, these guys have style. What could be bad?
Well, a lot. There were a few people waiting. We found the hostess and asked for a table. She abruptly said "Well, I don't have a table. You'll have to wait for me to clear one." Umm, isn't that usually the case? Were we asking you to do something special?
Who needs attitude as a greeting? Hint to hostess from several reviews: Not everyone is cut out for food service work.
When we asked for a Coke, we got a mini lecture on high fructose corn sweetener vs. sucrose.
We bought a $6.00 (!) milk shake. One 10oz glass of chocolate milk with icy stuff in it. Good chocolate, but next time we'll go back to The Malt Shop, a mile away.
We got a mini lecture on grass-fed, locally-sourced beef on the hamburger. The burger itself was a bit dry (grass fed means less fatty means less juicy), nice tasting, with a very interesting tasting lettuce and nicely aromatic melted brie. The fries were hand cut from fresh potatoes, quite nice, like you can get at most decent restaurants. Oh, and $14.00. For a burger.
So a $25.00 lunch, with attitude.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank MnVan
Edina
“Good Breakfast, Gets a Bit Crowded”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The breakfasts are great, I recommend the CSA hash.

The indoor space can get a bit on the cramped side when it's a full house. During good weather there is outdoor seating, I recommend that if possible.

• Visited November 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Went out of our way for this”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Saw this on a few "best-of" lists, so decided to make the drive south out of downtown for dinner. I think I was expecting it to be on a farm after the farm-to-table billing, and was surprised to find what looked like a converted garage (it was) on a busy street. But it's comfortable and casual inside, and there was no rush to order. I loved the wine list, and the laid-back staff, decor that's alive with potted plants, and a real down-home (not hipster or twee) vibe. All I can say is, save room for dessert, and if you don't try the rhubarb and caramel sauce on frozen custard you will have wasted your trip to Minneapolis. A small menu that gets flavors right, without stuffing you. On the night we went, they had char-roasted pea pods with a generous sprinkle of salt as an appetizer, and the maple baked beans and corn bread with the grilled chicken are what the staff here referred to as "plate-wiping good" - they were right.

• Visited May 2014